Best way to sell a faulty iMac 17"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hankdesign, Mar 18, 2009.

1. hankdesign macrumors member

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forums so im sorry if I have put it in the wrong place.

I am going to be selling a faulty 17" iMac. However Im not sure wether to sell it as a complete machine or in bits. What do you think is the best way to make a bit of extra cash?

Thanks for your help

Jon

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

What is its fault?

You would probably make more money by parting it out but it may take longer to sell it all and it is certainly more effort. I am familiar with this dilemma myself and just haven't bothered doing anything with my POS machines. Expensive paperweights. :p

Welcome to MR, by the way.

3. hankdesign thread starter macrumors member

The fault is pointing towards the motherboard. It books up ok sometimes and other times it just sticks on the grey loading screen. I took the back off and saw that some of the capacitors were leaking/bulging.

I have also done the check with the lights with back cover off and they all lighted up fine.

The rest of the mac worked fine before this happened. So I would rather sell it in bits, im not sure what sort of prices to put the bits for. :(

The screen is perfect and has no dead pixels and im guessing they arent cheap to buy a new one, so would offer it at a bit of a bargain price. Same with the other parts really.

Thanks,
    Jon

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Sucks about the motherboard/logic board. That's an expensive part.

I am not up to date on what the parts generally go for but I do think that would likely give you more money over all.
    I have a dodgy screen on my old white iSight iMac (a single small vertical coloured line down the screen) and the costs for replacement panels is pretty steep. So I think you can get a fair sum of cash for parting it out if only for its screen.

Good luck. :)

5. MTI macrumors 65816

Capacitors are extremely inexpensive, as is the soldering iron and lead free solder . . .

You might consider sending the logic board to an "old school" tv/radio repair shop and ask how much they would charge to replace a few capacitors.