Best way to sell a jailbroken phone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by simer, May 7, 2010.

1. simer macrumors newbie

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'd actually appreciate views from the UK specifically. I am thinking about selling my iPhone in readiness to replace it with whatever Apple release in June (I'm desparate for an improved battery life) and I am looking to find the best and fairest way to sell it.

It is a jailbroken (spirit) 16Gb 3GS with 3.1.2 firmware and SHSHs stored on Cydia for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 with a new bootROM. It is unlocked with Blacksn0w. It strikes me that this information would make it more desirable to someone with knowledge, but I wouldn't want to advertise it as unlocked as that would be unfair. How and where would people recommend advertising it? eBay?

I am assuming it would be best to restore it to 3.1.2, and rejailbreak/ unlock to sell as an activated, ready to go phone, but I don't want to sell it to someone who is going to upgrade it and lose their unlock straight away.

I am hoping that this is an appropriate forum to ask this advice. If it isn't I apologise in advance.

Thanks

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

just make a note in the ad that this is a software-unlock not a factory unlock and if the customer upgrades the FW they will loose the unlock.
    Aslong as the customer understands this then there shouldn't be a problem, moral or otherwise.

3. molder macrumors newbie

eBay....I sold my first gen there and it paid for my 3G and 2 years of apple care....

4. anthdci macrumors 6502

is it an o2 iphone? if so get them to officially unlock it for you, then sell it stock, ready to use unjailbroken, but maybe offer to jailbreak it to the seller if they wish.

o2 unlock

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, you should restore, activate, and set up as a new phone, jailbreak it, and unlock it. Then advertise it as a jailbroken and soft-unlocked phone. If you have SHSH on file, you might want to include that information. As long as you are honest in your description, you'll be fine.

I intend to advertise mine as:

32 GB iPhone 3GS:
    Color: Black
    Condition: Good; minor scratches on case and one small chip on bezel.
    Baseband: 05.11.07 (Carrier unlock available using blacksn0w)
    Bootrom: 359.3 (Untethered jailbreak available using redsn0w, blackra1n, PwnageTool, or Spirit)
    SHSH on file for iPhone OS 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, and 3.1.3 (included on CD-ROM upon request)

This phone will be jailbroken and unlocked before shipping upon request.

6. simer thread starter macrumors newbie

No, unfortunately it's Tescos and they won't unlock for 12 months, which in itself might make it less attractive in the UK I suppose.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Do you think it's best to sell before June or wait until the new phone comes out? (Aside from the obvious pain of being without an iPhone until this happens:))