Best way to sell a Mac Pro locally?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacFanBoyIIe, Mar 25, 2008.

1. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

I've never sold a computer before. But, with the bitter taste in my mouth about the lack of graphics card update options, I might just sell my Mac Pro.

1) Is there a standard form or invoice people use when selling computers?

2) What's the best way to sell a Mac Pro locally, meaning not shipping it but selling it to a local individual who will come look at it and then buy it?

3) Is there anything special you need to do with regards to warranty registration or applecare?

4) Obviously I would need to wipe the hard drives and install a clean copy of OSX. Anything else?

Opinions and experiences welcome. Thanks.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You might try checking the Craiglist for your area, and see how other people are selling their computers. It'd also work regarding letting others know you're selling it. As for warranties/AppleCare, I'm not sure, sorry.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I hear you just have to transfer the applecare to the person buying the computer and its a fairly easy process.

I'd look on Apple's Website for more details on that.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I sold my 1st gen Mac Pro via Craig's List. Didn't really give the guy a receipt. I just took the cash and gave him the machine...

5. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

I sold my PowerMac G5 on eBay. I know it's not local, but my experience was painless and I got a good price. Shipping is no big deal as you can have the buyer pay for it (I use PayPal), and call UPS to come to your house or business to pick it up. Personally, I don't trust Craig's List. You can get a lot of scam replies to your post.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I've recently been selling several Mac Pros (bought out the remaining stock when my CompUSA went out of business) and all but 1 of them have been sold via eBay. I had hoped to sell about half of them locally, but I have only received 3 or 4 calls from my local ads and only 1 wanted to give me a fair price. I think that eBay works better because the potential market is much bigger. As another poster pointed out, just have the buyer pay for shipping and budget for your eBay and PayPal fees to make sure you get what you want out of the deal.

7. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Don't limit yourself to just local sales. There is no comparison to eBay.

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

If you have a local further education college that offer graphics / photography / video editing classes etc. it would be worth asking about putting an "ad" on the Students Union notice board.

9. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

If you don't change the name on AppleCare, Apple will likely do it when the person takes it in for repair as the AppleCare goes with the machine (it's tracked by the serial # of the machine).

You may want to look for Mac user groups in your area which have online forums, or advertise on Mac forum market places and just specify that you want local pickup only or local sales.

10. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Craigslist.com or a local newspaper. Or maybe try posting it at a local college too.

11. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Depending on the population of where you live, Craigslist is a great way to sell things.

I sold my 2.2GHz Macbook for $1150 in about 5 hours.

12. Mikey- macrumors regular

Try posting an advert in your local newspaper or make some flyer's and try and put them in shop windows.