Best way to sell a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gothiquegirrl, May 16, 2009.

1. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

Ok, so i bought a refurb about a year ago. I didn't have a single problem with it until it was literally like a day out of warranty.. Yes, i should have gotten apple care, blah blah...

Ok so, the screen isn't too bad.. but it does have some very faint stripes.. and one dead / stuck pixel. I really wanted a laptop anyway... so i've decided to sell it... But here is my issue.

Where is the best place to sell it? I really don't want to sell on ebay - they treat their sellers badly... But i actually want to sell the thing... so is it better to try to sell locally?

Suggestions? Comments? Thanx.

Also, taking in account the issue I am havng with it... How much do you think it's worth?

It's a mid 2007 iMac Alu. 2.0Ghz... 4 GB Ram - you know the rest :)

GG

2. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Craigslist?

Or you can post an ad on your local college's buy/sell board or some sort?

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

PERSONALLY....

I am ALL for locally selling things (Craigslist). I prefer to meet the buyer in person and get HARD cash or check.

Second would be here on Macrumors. When doing it here you have Paypal and a decent reputation/friendship with the buyers/members.

You will get the most money for your sales through eBay though, even if you don't want to go through them. Most posters get their stuff sold quicker and for more money through eBay since people don't know what to charge or spend for used Macs.

As for price, my rule of thumb, which I got from another freelancer, who got it from another die hard used stuff buyer, is to reduce the price in your Mac by about a third for every year it's been on the market. I say about only because of the upgrades and the condition of the machine.

For instance, I have a 17" MBP Penryn I want to sell, I am selling it for $1800. Bought new for $3000 a year ago but still has Apple Care and in perfect condition. The catch is I only sell locally, so the buyer will pick up. If I have to ship it, I can easily get the price back up to $2100.

Since that machine debuted (correct me if I am wrong) at around $1200 it'd be worth about $700 IMHO. The 20" is now at $1199 new, $1099 refurbished. You don't have APL CARE and there's issues with the screen. I'd sell it for around $700 depending on where you sell it.

4. gothiquegirrl thread starter macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I thought Craigslist wasn't a safe place to sell....
    Assuming they would want to see it in action... i dunno how you would set that up in a public place?

I'm not in school.. so I don't really have anyway to post to those boards.. :-(

I do have a local classified option, BUt it's the same as craigs list.. is that really safe or practical for selling a desktop?

5. gothiquegirrl thread starter macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

Actually I was thinking about $500-600ish... So I'm happy to know that that isn't too unreasonable...

For me the thing with ebay is.. What if the customer gets the mac.. says it's broken and the files a dispute with paypal? Ebay/Paypal treat their sellers like criminals ( mind you I have 100% feedback) and would possibly also give the person their money back. So they have the imac & the cash! I mean how do you PROVE that the item was in the condition you said it was in....? How do you keep from being scammed? i dunno I value my feedback score as well as don't want to be screwed. I sell art all the time on ebay... but am WAY leery of selling bit ticket things on ebay...

GG

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Those are the same reasons why I only sell locally. I may be branded an eSeller Punk for life, but I just don't like buying or selling certain things over great distances.

Craigslist is actually safe as long as you don't meet the person at night by yourself in a dark alley or empty area.

To test the machine in public, you can meet anywhere there's a working outlet... Starbucks, Panera Bread, college/local library, etc. Turn it on, plug in the mouse and keyboard, login, go to system profiler..... buyer's happy, you're happy, shut her down, pack her up, take your money, walk home happy.

It's not a Craigslist thing, but always meet strangers in public, well lit, crowded/neutral places.

7. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

Put it on my doorstep with a note that says "Free to a good home" ;)
    Kidding aside, I looked on Mac2Sell, and it said $820, I think that it might be a little low.
    I would pay $900 for it if the screen was the only issue.

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you are talking about US dollars, $900 is too much, but like I said, if the OP can find a buyer that wants to pay more then go for it.

Apple's refurbed site has a 24" 2.8GHz Previous Gen for $1199. There aren't any 20" models up there because they go fast, and the last one was selling for $899.... previous gen.

Her machine is two generations ago, with no Apple Care, and flaws.

9. leavingwave macrumors newbie

try powermax. they buy used machines and will sell you a new/ used laptop.

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Contrary to popular belief, (such belief promulgated by ebay), you don't have to use PayPal. There is an alternative you may want to check out.

http://www.merchantinc.com/

PayPal is great for buying things, can suck for selling.

11. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

If you're in the UK, Gumtree's a good bet. You can arrange to meet up and swap cash for ware.