Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
i have a revA for sale with AppleCare and am hoping ti get $1200. mba's on ebay seem to be going for $1k, but by the time i deduct fees thats only $900 in my pocket. i live in michigan, and since our economy is terrible i am having no hits on craigslist.

any thoughts or advice as to where to sell?

what are the odds that this puppy is worth more as parts on ebay than the whole??

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
looks like ebay is the way to go in this case. I always sell all my old mac laptops on ebay. If you do, here are some pieces of advice.
1) Start the bidding at 1 cent. It will generate more buzz, watchers, and hits. The price will still get up to the same range as everyone else's. But do a 10 day auction.
2) Throw in all the cheap accessories you can. Not sure why, but eBayers seem to love bundles. Write "BUNDLE" in the subject.
3) Only ship to a CONFIRMED address! There is a lot of fraud on eBay these days, especially on the buyer side. People set up fake accounts or hijack other accounts. Don't be fooled by feedback. Make sure it's a paypal confirmed address.
4) Offer free shipping if the buyer pays with a check or money order. Obviously wait for the check to clear before shipping, but the money you lose in shipping costs will be made up in paypal fees you didn't pay out and the peace of mind that you can't get screwed by paypal.

Anyhow, from a guy who has sold 4 or 5 macs on ebay, that's my advice! Maybe you can find another place to sell it - try listing it in ann arbor. You'll get the college kids who are less affected by the economy - a lot less money too though so maybe that's not a good idea haha.

Good luck!

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Try craigslist. No fees, deal in person with cash. I also have sold many high ticket items on craigslist, many times they will have a check/money order/cashiers check. Go to the issuing bank with the buyer to cash the check in order to make sure it is not fraud then release the product. Many people do not like carrying that much cash for security, but this also protects you and sets up a public meeting place.

This will max your profit and also protects you a little more since 90% time it is cash only. Buyers seem to be more comfortable with this since they can see the product before they actually buy.

Sorry, just noticed you tried craigslist.

ducatidoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
yup, CL has been a bust. again, no money here in MI, so no one to buy my mba locally.

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
Are you trying to get $1200 without any accessories for a used MBA?

If so, I'd say it's extremely unlikely. I'd say you'd MAYBE be able to get $1100 shipped for it on ebay with a Buy-it-Now if your MBA was in absolutely immaculate condition. Otherwise, $1k is an appropriate price.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
It's pretty tough to get the price that you would be willing to sell your Macbook Air at. I just bought a revA MBA off craigslist for $650. I know that this is a one-off super deal but i would think that the normal price range for the MBA now would be about $1k in decent condition.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
It's pretty tough to get the price that you would be willing to sell your Macbook Air at. I just bought a revA MBA off craigslist for $650. I know that this is a one-off super deal but i would think that the normal price range for the MBA now would be about $1k in decent condition.

$650? umm... where?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
People on ebay and craigslist tend to want deals, and theoretically, are probably more potentially more impacted by this economy (or at least aware to the point they are cutting back on spending) so its a lose lose situation for you. I doubt you'd get more than a 1000 for it especially when you can get a new rev A for 1200. I have a rev A, and I too would love to get the air that was meant to be... But then again, if I were you, I'd just wait a year or two when the economy gets better and you can an Air for more features (like a larger HD, more processing power, and 4gb of ram-that'd be awesome).

If you are having core shut down, get coolbook (email me if you are totally confused in how to set it up). I can watch flash without issue. The new netflix silverlight causes a weird shutdown and an external laptop coolpad fixes that issues. It only happens 1hr 45mins into a movie. Total cost on your end it $30 at the most compared to 600 or more if you buy the SSD version (which if I were you I'd go with that option).

Edit: I just read you already bought one. I guess that advice can be for other people considering upgrading.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
On criagslist as i said in my earlier post. When i met the guys to look at the MacBook Air, he told me that it'll be $700 because of some dents at the side of the MBA. I saw a few scratches on the bottom and told him that I'll take it for $650 because of those scratches and he agreed. Pretty good deal in my opinion.

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
I've noticed that as well - any physical damage - especially dents, will severely decrease your resale value. I've noticed this in many listings that ended low. Dents will also give you a hard time later on getting any applecare if anything ever happens to your mac.

It's the price to pay for that nice aluminum shell.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I had no luck with Craigslist either, but i just sold mine w. Superdrive but no AppleCare with "buy it now" for $1299.

In addition to what others have said:

1) Offer free shipping. Bargain hunters want to know there are no hidden costs.
2) Use Garagesale for a more professional looking ad http://www.iwascoding.com/GarageSale/
3) Take pictures of your computer to reassure the buyer of what they will get.

PM me if you want my eBay link.

Tibs066

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2005
Indiana
Mba

I live an hour away from Michigan and i think the biggest problem with selling on CL is that every MBA that i have tried to buy from IN,MI,IL is that everyone and i mean EVERYONE has been a scammer. Place a couple pictures of of yours and be open to take pictures with object in the pictures.

six.four

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
I live an hour away from Michigan and i think the biggest problem with selling on CL is that every MBA that i have tried to buy from IN,MI,IL is that everyone and i mean EVERYONE has been a scammer. Place a couple pictures of of yours and be open to take pictures with object in the pictures.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I just sold one of my macbook air's in the chicago craigslist. I see a few up I am certain are legitimate as well.

jameskohn

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Connecticut
sold my Rev. A on ebay

Just sold my Rev. A 1.8 SSD MacBook Air on ebay for $1,350 PLUS shipping. It was in MINT condition, and it did include AppleCare. I've always done really well selling my Macs on ebay. They are usually very recent vintages, and they are always in excellent condition, and always include AppleCare.

I was concerned this go round with the MBA because of all the posts. I can say that it was no problem, although getting $1,350 for a laptop that I bought for $3,000 less than a year ago is the WORST I've ever done with a Mac. Then again, Apple reduced the price by $500 since I bought my MBA, so that was a significant hit right off the bat.

Start bidding low, and set realistic expectations. I always do a little bit extra for the buyers; ship faster, include extra accessories, etc. One final note: PayPal now holds payment on computers until: they receive delivery confirmation, the buyer posts positive feedback, or 21 days. Whichever is first. Check ebay/PayPal terms for details. While it means I may have to wait a few extra days for my money (while PayPal gets the float!!) it is probably to my benefit as buyers have that added layer of protection, so they can bid more aggressively with greater confidence.

carichard

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
location is everything...

I just sold my 1.8 64Gb MacBook Air on Craigslist for $1,500 cash and purchased the MBA v2. I am in San Francisco, which no doubt worked in my favor. The mac market share here is huge.

And as to the comment about losing so much money reselling a MacBook Air, I remember the days when Mac PowerBooks would sell retail for $6,000 (the 90's). We used to take a real bath reselling those puppies!

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
i paid $1000 for mine on craigslist in nyc and it came in perfect condition with two cases. i wouldnt have paid higher but i would have paid lower of course :)

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
If you can wait I would.

The current stock of refurbs and new RevA's in the marketplace is driving the price of used ones down. Once that stock is depleted the price should float a little higher.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Priced dropped so much on RevA over 3K, now a better model for 2499.00 . Bet soon the rev A will be well under 1K.

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea
I sold my Week 3 1st generation Air (1.8 GHz, 64 GB SSD), with full invisible shield installed, AppleCare and the Speck Case on eBay for more than that.

i have a revA for sale with AppleCare and am hoping ti get $1200. mba's on ebay seem to be going for $1k, but by the time i deduct fees thats only $900 in my pocket. i live in michigan, and since our economy is terrible i am having no hits on craigslist.

any thoughts or advice as to where to sell?

what are the odds that this puppy is worth more as parts on ebay than the whole??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.