Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pja786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Hey All,

What would you say the best way would be to sell an iMac in a way that maximizes profits?

The debate that I'm having with myself is whether to sell it either in parts or as a whole unit and whether to sell on Craigs List or eBay.

Thanks

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Hey All,

What would you say the best way would be to sell an iMac in a way that maximizes profits?

The debate that I'm having with myself is whether to sell it either in parts or as a whole unit and whether to sell on Craigs List or eBay.

Thanks

What do you mean in parts? You would dismantel the iMac entirely and sell each part?

If I were you, I would sell the complete machine.

pja786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
What do you mean in parts? You would dismantel the iMac entirely and sell each part?

If I were you, I would sell the complete machine.

By parts I mean the logic board, ect. So yeah, I'd have to dismantle the innards of the iMac.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
If its more than 3 years old the logic board and display would be the only parts of any real value "parted" out.

Ram - Worthless
HD - Worthless
CPU - Worthless

Cant see as I'd see anyone buying the case.

You would get a lot more selling it complete.

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
Craigslist is the way to go.

A lot of uneducated Mac people go there looking for discounts. (But don't know that they're getting ripped off).

I see posts for 2009 24" iMacs, 3.06 GHz, NVIDIA GT130 512mb for $1400.

penduboy

macrumors member
May 9, 2011

A lot of uneducated Mac people go there looking for discounts. (But don't know that they're getting ripped off).

:) coz they don't have time and knowledge to compare :apple: to :apple:

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008

From what I have seen and experienced eBay gives you a better chance for more money than craiglist.

pja786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
From what I have seen and experienced eBay gives you a better chance for more money than craiglist.

This could be true, but craigslist does allow you to talk to the buyer in person, and thus potential better bartering. So I could post a price higher then what I actually want and that way I have some padding in between prices. I don't think it would hurt to post it on CL for a few weeks to see how it does and then if no luck post it on eBay.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
This could be true, but craigslist does allow you to talk to the buyer in person, and thus potential better bartering. So I could post a price higher then what I actually want and that way I have some padding in between prices. I don't think it would hurt to post it on CL for a few weeks to see how it does and then if no luck post it on eBay.

That is true. Face To face does offer some fraud prevention too. Much safer to do a face to face transaction.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
That is true. Face To face does offer some fraud prevention too. Much safer to do a face to face transaction.

As long as the CL buyer doesn't rob you at gunpoint. I prefer at a distance transactions. Either way both CL & eBay would get more than selling in the marketplace here.

Cheers,

Last edited:

pja786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
As long as the CL buyers doesn't rob you at gunpoint. I prefer at a distance transactions. Either way both CL & eBay would get more than selling in the marketplace here.

Cheers,

Haha good point, I'll make sure to have my glock concealed in the event of any close encounters.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
I sold my 3 year old iMac duo (3.06GHz) on Ebay earlier this year for £970.

Weird thing was I had 70 watchers the first time I listed it, but no one bidded.
So I waited a week then relisted and it sold immediately; I even had people in Russia and Italy wanting me to ship to them.

Just shows if at first you don't succeed... ;)

animefanotaku

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
I recently sold my 2009 Core 2 Duo 15" MBP (nvidia 9600gt) for $1200 on Ebay.... which is only $100 less than I paid for it nearly two years ago off of Apple's refurbished store. That along with a 16g iphone 3gs I sold for $250 on CL helped me get the 2011 iMac :)

pja786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
I recently sold my 2009 Core 2 Duo 15" MBP (nvidia 9600gt) for $1200 on Ebay.... which is only $100 less than I paid for it nearly two years ago off of Apple's refurbished store. That along with a 16g iphone 3gs I sold for $250 on CL helped me get the 2011 iMac :)

Wow that's a good price for you. I'd be happy getting if I got $500 just because it's a 2006 PPC. It's in great shape though, it runs well and it is in great cosmetic condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.