Best way to sell an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by erkanasu, Jul 30, 2013.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

What's the best way to sell an iMac? eBay?

it's 2012 model, last generation before the new gen.

-Paul

2. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

eBay. Sold my late 2012 recently and for a good price, you should get an offer fairly quickly after posting.

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Some would argue, that with the proper precautions, Craigslist would be the best. You avoid the eBay fees and the cost of shipping the iMac.

4. Bear macrumors G3

The late 2012 models are still the current model, before the late 2012 model was the May 2011 model. SO is it a 2012 model or a 2011 model?

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Sold both ways in the past. Even better is selling to a friend, business friend or client. Ebay has the largest audience if you're willing to take the 10% hit (average after fees, paypal, etc) and want to move it quick.

6. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Imho.....

eBay, if you are willing to ship and dont find outrage in their fees. Otherwise go local (but no CL) or as another poster said, go with an acquaitance.

:):apple:

7. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

If you're in an urban area then I would give a local website a try like Craigslist or Kjiji, but if you get a constant stream of low ballers or scammers then go with eBay.

8. josh995, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

josh995 macrumors member

I think he means it's the thicker iMac. Before they went on a diet. :)

To answer the question... eBay is best, I have found. Yeah, you have the seller fees, but you usually get a higher bid on eBay. Most people on Craigslist will try to get under what you list it for.

Example - You post it for $800 (or whatever) on Craigslist. People are going to try to offer you $600, or even lower if they're lowballers. Some will even try to trade you some piece of junk windows computer that's only worth like $300.

But with eBay you can set a reserve (minimum amount you'll accept) but have the bidding begin at zero, and you're more likely to sell on eBay because the audience is much bigger, rather than the locals who visit the Craigslist page. Just don't price your shipping to high! That turns a lot of buyers off.

9. wannabepcuser macrumors member

I personally can't be bothered with meeting people in person when selling something, so, for that reason I like ebay. However, when dealing with high ticket items such Apple products, dealing in cash maybe better.

I sold a $1,200 computer to some person on ebay a decade ago. I would never do that again. She paid fine, and no problems.

Personally, I would never sell anything on ebay where I couldn't afford to loose the thing I was selling, and the money. There are crooks everywhere today.