Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikieMcBikie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
TN
I picked up an iPad 2 the day after launch at best buy, and am pretty happy with it. But I thought it would be a laptop replacement for my uses but the typing has been driving me crazy so I have decided to sell it and get a new MacBook pro. What's the best way to sell it? It is a black, 16 gig wifi model, and is in perfect condition and has the box and all included accessories. I haven't ever used eBay or craigslist so I don't know if that's a viable option. Anyways any help would be appreciated.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Frankly I'd be afraid to try to sell anything big on ebay with all the scammers. I'd suggest putting an ad on craigslist and meeting the buyer in a very public location for the swap.

mwheeler609

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
Jersey
Both sites have pros and cons, eBay does have many scammers, only sell to people who pay within 2 days, and never listen to odd emails or messages about weird situation for payment, only sell straight through ebay's system with paypal. And always use signature verification when shipping to someone. Ship to US only if you are in the US.

Craigslist is great just make sure you get a counterfeit marker for the cash, someone could easily hand you fake cash and never see you again.

mac.rumors

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
London, UK
I picked up an iPad 2 the day after launch at best buy, and am pretty happy with it. But I thought it would be a laptop replacement for my uses but the typing has been driving me crazy so I have decided to sell it and get a new MacBook pro. What's the best way to sell it? It is a black, 16 gig wifi model, and is in perfect condition and has the box and all included accessories. I haven't ever used eBay or craigslist so I don't know if that's a viable option. Anyways any help would be appreciated.

Amazon.com is a very safe place to list and sell your stuff, especially hot sellers like the iPad 2.

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
Frankly I'd be afraid to try to sell anything big on ebay with all the scammers. I'd suggest putting an ad on craigslist and meeting the buyer in a very public location for the swap.

Fake money, Crimes of opportunity and the highly anonymous nature of craigslist transactions are why I've always avoided that site.

No need for alarmism, I've sold plenty of expensive electronic stuff on eBay, you just have to be knowledgeable.

Don't sell to people with zero to little feedback,
don't ship outside of the country you currently live in,
set up the auction so only buyers with a paypal account in your country can bid, don't accept any emails/side deals from people wanting to make the purchase "off the eBay books",
If the offer looks too good to be true, it IS.
Clearly state in the auction you expect the winner's payment within 48 hours
ALso, shipping with a tracking number, signature confirmation, and insurance, if after all precautions, you are scammed in the most unlikely circumstances, paypal will still side with you as long as you followed the 3 shipping requirements I mention because that documents you followed through with the shipping, if the post office loses them item, or the scammer claims they never received, their dog ate it, someone grabbed off their porch, its BS because USPS won't deliver without a signature.

ani23

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Craigslist, meet at the bank, deposit the cash.

This. Meet in an ATM zone so everything's on camera if you need to pull it up later.

Craigslist is pretty safe and in most cases straightforward.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I've never understood the apprehension about selling on ebay. I've sold maybe 100 items in the past decade and haven't had any issues. I simply wait to ship until I've been paid. Is there something I'm missing?

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
I've never understood the apprehension about selling on ebay. I've sold maybe 100 items in the past decade and haven't had any issues. I simply wait to ship until I've been paid. Is there something I'm missing?

+1 I have 114 positive feedback(100%) over the past 5 years, since I joined basically, and most of that is from electronic buys and sales, many over 1,000 USD in worth. That's why I do not get the fear of eBay so many have.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
+1 I have 114 positive feedback(100%) over the past 5 years, since I joined basically, and most of that is from electronic buys and sales, many over 1,000 USD in worth. That's why I do not get the fear of eBay so many have.

then they claim they never received the item. they dispute. u lose ur money and product.

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
then they claim they never received the item. they dispute. u lose ur money and product.

Tracking number + Signature confirmation + insurance = Paypal seller protection covers you, only need the first two to qualify.

Sig conf. for items over 250USD I believe, for the seller protection.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA

I've been a user since 2001 and have 100% feedback, buying and selling. Never had an issue. Got plenty of scam questions but was smart enough about it that I never got burnt. I fully endorse eBay for certain items.

Stupid people need to stay off eBay.

Last edited:

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
eBay vs CL is a no-brainer, I'm not sure why people are ok losing 10% due to fees on eBay. I use CL all day long and have never had an issue, but I only meet inside a local bank.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I'm not sure why people are ok losing 10% due to fees on eBay. I use CL all day long and have never had an issue, but I only meet inside a local bank.

Craigslist is great for those who live in a large metropolitan area, but some of us are in rural areas and there just isn't a Craigslist site setup for us.

bookoo.com seems to be popular for those of us in the middle of nowhere. My little town has a bookoo site, but I have a hard time selling most items since not enough traffic. So, I use eBay.

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
You could also use something like Gazelle.com

You will get less money but it is a safer way to go.
543.jpg

and get half the value... bad idea

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Craigslist, Cash, local pickup only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.