Best way to sell Iphne 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gmagnes, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gmagnes macrumors member

I have an Iphone 3G (16GB) that I'd like to sell in order to partially defray the cost of upgrading to the Iphone 4. I've recently heard about: getcashforiphone.com
    Has anyone sold a phone through them. Are they reliable and are the quotes they offer online before you send them your phone reliable?
    Do folks have any other suggestions?
    thanks,
    Gerry

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

RadioShack offers $100 for 3Gs and $200 for 3GSs, store credit or towards a new phone if you buy from them.

BestBuy has trade in program for store credit as well.

However, I've found the best value to come from NextWorth. They were offering $100 for my 8GB 3G in cash.

This article may be of help to you.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/21/how-to-sell-your-old-iphone/

3. ducktales macrumors regular

craigslist or eBay. the other places are just ripoffs.

4. Eric M macrumors member

Depends on where you live...

..as here in UK O2 runs a scrapping scheme where they pay £155 for the 8GB 3G and even more (~£200) for the 16GB 3GS

5. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Craigslist/Ebay. Like the guy above me said the other ones are just ripoffs. Cash4iphones offered me $86 dollars. Sold it on Craigslist for 150. Jailbreak it and unlock it to, it will be easier to sell at a higher price.

But you should of sold it before the I4 came out cause now everyone bought the I4 and wants to sell their old phones. So theres just too much competition right now.

6. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

CraigsList and eBay are by far the best options, but they're not always guaranteed sells. And you have to deal with people :p

7. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

Very true.

I was selling my 3G (scuffed on the back, crack on the back, scratches on the front) for $100 bucks on CL. Some guy called and offered me $70 if I met him within the hour. I didn't want to turn him down, because who's to say that anyone else would have wanted it?

Met him in front of a Best Buy. I got 70 bucks, he got an old iPhone.

I've sold a lot of stuff on CL... mostly guitars. It's always always always best to meet them some place with a lot of people. It's safer that way. So please keep that in mind!

8. valuead macrumors newbie

Sold 3 phones to http://www.getcashforiphone.com/

A friend from work sold his iPhone to http://www.getcashforiphone.com/ and got paid over PayPal so I went and sold 3 phones (personal, wife and my son). Requested to be paid by check. Transaction went well. Based on my personal experience you can do business with them.

9. Domo-Kun macrumors member

I dropped my iPhone 3g on a rock, sent it to insurance company, got paid £454 since they were out of production and that wqas the going rate for an iphone 3GS 16gb. so thats $650+, i was so happy i dropped my iPhone.

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

eBay will let you get the most out of your iPhone. The others have to buy them at a discounted price obviously because they have to sell them again.

11. agjake01 macrumors regular

Craigs List is your best bet. Ebay will take a cut from your sale for commission.

Originally posted my 3G 8GB on Ebay for 195.00, lots of watchers, no bids.

Posted it for $185 on CL and sold it the same day. Posted my wife's on CL for $185 and sold it the same day, the second buyer paid me an additional $15 to Jailbreak and Unlock it for Tmobile, took about 45 minutes having never done it with Redsn0w. FWIW

12. headcheese macrumors regular

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

14. headcheese macrumors regular

I know right?!? I was shocked! And really worried that no one would bid since I had no feedback. I had zero bids in 3 days and then the guy paid my buy it now price :eek:

It was so worth it to be without a phone for 10 days :) Tough though!!