Best way to sell MacBook purchased in Aug. 2006

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by notremac, Apr 6, 2009.

1. notremac macrumors newbie

Hello all. I own a white MacBook that I got in August 2006. I am hoping to upgrade to the new aluminum MacBook. While this is NOT a post intended to find perspective buyers, can anyone recommend a good store or website that buys used MacBooks and gives credit towards new purchases? PowerMax quoted me $500, and I'd rather go through a site than sell it myself on ebay or Craig's List. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

My MacBook's details:
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core Duo
    Memory: 1 GN 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    HD: 80 GB
    Running: Mac OS X 10.4.11

2. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

If they're offering you $500 I'd take it...

$500 sounds fair.

3. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I traded in with Powermax before and it was easy and a good value. I don't know of any other places that do that.

4. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

i would find a lager HDD possibly on craigslist in your area from someone that upgraded theirs and add 2GB memory the same way and ask $800 and take $700 if you can't get $800 but i bet you could get $750 no problem.

you should be able to pick up 2 x 1GB 667 memory for no more than $20 since you can get brand new Crucial 2GB kit for $18.99 on Newegg. there is a lot of these 2GB kits on most areas cragslist since a lot of people went to 4GB and sell there maybe never used memory cheap. .

upgrading your HDD and memory will make your macbook much more appealing to people who don't know how easy it is to do yourself or don't want to bother and also make it appear as a much better machine.

i also see 160GB 2.5 hard drives on craigslist for $40 to $50 all the time.

now you add about $80 tops to your macbook and sell it for $750 and make an additional $170 over the $500 after you upgrade it.

just my thoughts

good luck

FYI - i bought a machine like yours recently for $400 added a 2GB memory kit and 320GB HDD and sold it for $750 :)

5. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

With that configuration, $500 is not bad. I just sold a white Macbook 2 GHz Core 2 duo with 120GB HD and 2GB Ram for about $650 on ebay.

6. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

i should have mentioned that $500 isn't bad. i was just mentioning that if you dont rush it and added a little extra to it you could do better. as with anything it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

adding some hardware would help but then of course you have more in it. i find this kind of thing challenging and will usually hold out until i get as much as i can rather than sell it for a good deal and move on. also i usually get a little more than others on craigs for offering some tech support at delivery and maybe even after the sale.

a lot of new mac buyers out there and adding some support for the switch is always beneficial.

good luck with your sale and getting your new one :)

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Good timing on this thread....

I too just started to think about selling my late 2007 2.2 GHz MacBook and upgrading to a new one. I was at the UCLA store this weekend, and I saw the UCLA academic prices on Macs, and found out that they are even lower than the education discounts at Apple. :eek:

I'm looking at the 2.4 GHz MacBook that I can get for $1,349 instead of the regular store price of $1,599 (or education store price of $1,499). $250 off is too good to pass up.

I wonder what I could get for mine on craigslist/ebay? Any estimates? I would guess maybe $750-800-ish based on what jtibbitt said he got for his?

OP, if you could get $500 for yours on Powermax, then I'm sure you can get a couple hundred more on eBay or Craigslist. I'd agree that $500 is probably a good deal at a place like that. If you're willing to sacrifice a couple hundred dollars to save you the footwork of trying to sell it yourself, then go for it.

UPDATE: I just got a response from PowerMax to my trade-in inquiry. They've offered me $625. Good to know- I guess my open-market estimate of $750-800 may be close to what I can get.

8. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

????????

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah,weird is right.

I'm guessing it's a spam post, to try to get people to click on the link in his signature. DON"T DO IT! :p

10. vilim12 macrumors regular

I just unloaded a mid-07 MacBook 2.16 with 4gb ram and 160gb hd for 850. But I did include alot of software, a case, a mighty mouse and the vga adapter too

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

put it up on craigslist for 50$ more than it's worth. wait a month. relist for 25 more than it's worth

then goto eBay!

12. ktacharles macrumors newbie

Macbook early 2006

Would 900 CAND be good for a

Macbook white from 2006
    2GB RAM
    2GHz Intel Core Duo processor
    250 GB HD
    Mac OS X Leopard 10.5
    Ilife '09 Iwork '09 pre-installed
    GMA 950 64 MB Vram shared memory
    with a DVI adapter :apple:
    Battery Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 1142
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 1156
    Cycle count: 232
    Plastic Cover Included very robust
    DVD CD Burner combo works fine no problem
    isight and microphone works fine no problem
    from apple

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

A used computer store in my area sells whitebooks with similar specs for yours for $625, and theirs has a warranty. Considering the fact that yes, they're entitled to a profit, I'd say $500 is a fair price for your machine.

Another question is whether your macbook still does what you want it to do. If it does, you may be better off maxing the ram out and putting in a faster hard drive to coax a little more use out of your machine. Save the rest of your money in the meanwhile, and by the time it reaches obsolescence for you, you'll have money for whatever new model/features/chipset that apple will have at that time. You can then have a backup secondary machine or a rig that you can haul down to starbucks without a second thought.

You paid a premium price for your machine, you may as well get all of the use out of it that you can. Trying to keep up with the latest thing will always be a losing proposition.

14. ktacharles macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer

i don't know how to sell it and i don't have a job cause I'm not old enough :(
    so I need\want a new macbook the mac book unibody but i cant have it

15. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

With those specs it'll go for $550 on craigslist if you fight hard, or $620 on ebay. Add a few bucks if it has a DVD burner.

eBay is where things sell for the most money for the least hassle, but you have to worry about paypal holding your money.

on CL people won't show up, people will lowball, people will say yes to a certain price and show up with less money, but it's cash.