Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
Since shelter in place, I've been working from home and have a company laptop. Usually, I'd leave the work laptop at work and use my personal laptop at home, but now I'm always on my work one. I have an old early 2015 Macbook Pro 13" that's been collecting dust and I'm thinking if I should just sell it now. With the 2013/2014 MacBook Pros recently becoming "vintage" to Apple, I'm worried this model will depreciate a lot more in a year or so. How much do you all think this is worth? It has 8 gb ram and 256 gb ssd. Is $600-700 a fair price to sell at?

That said, I've never sold an expensive used item like a Macbook. I'm thinking of selling locally to recoup the most value out of it, posting on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, but where would be a good place to meet given the circumstances? Should I accept cash only or allow Paypal/Venmo to ensure I don't get scammed?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Accept cash only or payment via PayPal Friends & Family.

I don't know where you are located but there are local police stations in my area that have a small area where the transactions can take place.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
Accept cash only or payment via PayPal Friends & Family.

I don't know where you are located but there are local police stations in my area that have a small area where the transactions can take place.

I'm in the US. What are these areas in police stations called? They have areas to handle transactions?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's something that was started in response to safety concerns and in order to provide a safe environment for people buying and selling high-priced items on Craigslist, Kijiji, and Letgo.

I've only use the police station once to conduct a sale. The "trading" area was a small, open space off the main reception area inside the station and completely visible to everyone. The police are not involved in any way other than allowing citizens to use the space.

Reactions: coffeeplease

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I've sold Macs on eBay in the past and had good luck. But I also think eBay has gotten scammier in recent years. I've heard some horror stories about buyers making false reports of the device being "not as described" or whatever and demanding a refund or just making the seller accept a return (in which case you have to eat the shipping).

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
I've sold Macs on eBay in the past and had good luck. But I also think eBay has gotten scammier in recent years. I've heard some horror stories about buyers making false reports of the device being "not as described" or whatever and demanding a refund or just making the seller accept a return (in which case you have to eat the shipping).

This is what I keep seeing come up these days about eBay too, so that's why I'm preferring to sell it locally.

Reactions: ignatius345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.