Best way to sell macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mellish, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mellish macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I bought a 13" unibody macbook 2 months back and want to sell it and upgrade to the new 13" pro. question is...what is the best way to sell it? i posted an ad on craigslist. any other suggestions? thanks.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just craigslist and ebay man.

EBay sucks cuz you have to pay big fees as well as Paypal.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well, there's always ebay.

But I suspect there will be a lot of 2 month old unibodies for sale there pretty quick. :D

4. Apple all life macrumors 6502

Yea but they are still going really good for the price, and I almost have the same set-up: macbook 2.4ghz, 4GB, 500gb, and a dell 21.5 inch :D. The best way to sell it is Ebay I think

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Like I said eBay will nail yah with their fee and paypal fees as well. Anyone know around how much though, give or take?

How much did you list it for, OP?

6. Poirot818 macrumors regular

$36.46 if you insert at below $1 and end at exactly $1000.

$38.97 if you insert it as buy it now at $1000.

The fees aren't that bad. You won't be paying more than $40 in fees since you won't get more than $1000 for your Macbook anyway. New and sealed 2.0 UMBs are being sold for $1100 BIN so don't even expect $1000 for a used one.

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

and craigslist sucks because of the constant lowballers, people who won't show up, or people who will show up with 70% as much $$ as you agreed to over the phone.

Even with the fees, you will make more money on eBay. However, if you do not have a paypal account that has been in use for a while, your money is held for a week or two.

If you want the most money and the least hassle, eBay. If you want the money right now, and don't want there to be a chance in the next 45 days that the person file a claim and get their money back, craigslist.

8. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Might get more than a G if you have some upgraded in it

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Don't foget the PayPal fees. :(

All in all, the fees aren't that bad. Especially if you live in the boonies and your options to unload something are limited. Sure beats a sign on the front lawn.

The only bad thing is that ebay will sometimes hold your paypal payment hostage until the buyer gives you a positive rating. This is supposedly at random unless you're a power seller. It happened to me once for a $1700 camera and the guy took freaking forever to leave me feedback.

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It's until he leaves positive feedback, OR two days after the proven ship date.

It sucks, but I would be on the phone 2 days after the USPS signature confirmation number confirmed they got it, telling paypal to release my money as per their policy.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Oh yeah that paypal hold they put for items over 100 dollars really pisses me off. I could see the frustration on that when you sell your machine to get the new a one .

12. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I'm still happy with my macbook but just annoyed that £400 has been wiped off it's value just like that.

13. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

i dont see the point in upgrading, if you bought the limited edition then you obviously can live without firewire, thats the only change which will be the dealmaker for most people holding off from the 13". 5 hours battery life is plenty but 7 is better, i certainly wouldnt turn my nose up at the 5 when many pc laptops struggle to get 3 hours.

processor bump will be like a 6% speed increase, ability to run 8gb ram is not of benefit to most as most wont pay for 8gb of ram or will have the need for it. by the time 8gb of ram is absolutely necessary i think the limited edition will be well out of date and in need of recycling

14. rajagiri3 macrumors newbie

search

you can get more options on google search..

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ebay for a quick sale, but you'll get dinged by fees. Craigslist if you want to deal with cash and not have fees. The downside is scammers.

I tried selling my old MBP on craigslist and it was an exercise in frustration, but I sold it < week on ebay for more money then craiglist, even after the fees were paid for.

16. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Ebay sold my MBA in one hour and got every cent i paid.