Best way to sell Macs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darnovo, Jun 18, 2012.

1. darnovo macrumors regular

I am currently interested in getting the rMBP. However, I currently have a 27" iMac and a MacBook Air. I want to sell both and just have the Pro. The 27" is literally brand new, I have not used it yet... I had a problem with my old machine and today Apple gave me a brand new machine, the box was opened however for them to upgrade the Ram to 8GB to match my old machine. The air is less than a year old.

Is eBay the best place to sell stuff like this, or Craigslist, or is there other way's of going about it?

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe most use eBay or Craigslist.

3. VacantPsalm macrumors member

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Amazon is a tough sell because you can only post up the condition and that's it. If you package it well and market it well, with nice pictures and descriptions you can get top dollar on eBay. Only downside, eBay has ridiculous fees. For an item sold on auction at $1000, you'll pay close to $100+ in fees in eBay and PayPal and then you also have to deduct shipping.

You can also post on Craigslist, but people are always looking for a bargain and making a sale is really hard. Usually you end up dropping the price to a point where it evens out with eBay.

I hate Craigslist because of scammers, email after email asking for paypal address and add $250 for DHL. to ship the item to them They end up sending a fake paypal email, expecting some to fall for it and actually ship the item out to you.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I prefer Craigslist honestly. You'll get the most for your stuff on eBay, but then you have to deal with their fees and PayPal's fees. Craigslist is the fastest, and in my opinion, most effective way to go about it. Just be careful (always meet in a public place, cash only, don't ship your stuff) and you should be fine.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I've never had luck selling any of my macs on craigslist. I usually end up with real low ballers or scammers. Did get lucky selling my 24" ACD to a web designer for $550 last year. But as far as my iMacs and Macbook Pro's, no luck!

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

You'll always get them, but you just got to give it some time. There are always college kids looking for Macs. I've sold my white MacBook and Powerbook G4 on it without problems. After a few days, some of the low ballers will come around.

8. ryanide macrumors 6502

sell to your friends

Especially if they know that you take good care of your gear and that you always have to upgrade to the latest and greatest when they are happy using last year's (or 2-3 year old) models.