Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Look, I'm not saying you will get as much from Gazelle as selling yourself. Obviously Gazelle has to pay for shipping and they get it ready to sell, then of course they want to make a profit.

It does seem to vary a lot more with more custom configurations like yours where for example the SSD is not taken into account in the Gazelle estimate.

It seems to be closer with more standard configurations. Here is a comparison I did in another thread in January.

For me, in my example, it is easily worth the $182 not to mess around with it. If it does not work out as favorably in your case, it may not be worth it for you.

I'm showing $665 on Gazelle for your iMac, so maybe you entered something incorrectly.

Yeah, I started with my Serial # which I hoped would catch the SSD upgrade, since there wasn't any way to enter it manually. I also didn't select the top condition option since, even though I don't see any issues, I am sure they would find something with a magnifying glass such as scuffs under the stand.

I was familiar with other "SellYourMac" like places, but was unfamiliar with Gazelle, so I thought I would give it a try. I guess I was underwhelmed. I realize that they have to make a profit and I was OK with that. However they seemed to be quite low in their offering and I wondered if there was any way to more precisely detail what the system had (such as the expensive SSD upgrade).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeah, I started with my Serial # which I hoped would catch the SSD upgrade, since there wasn't any way to enter it manually. I also didn't select the top condition option since, even though I don't see any issues, I am sure they would find something with a magnifying glass such as scuffs under the stand.

I was familiar with other "SellYourMac" like places, but was unfamiliar with Gazelle, so I thought I would give it a try. I guess I was underwhelmed. I realize that they have to make a profit and I was OK with that. However they seemed to be quite low in their offering and I wondered if there was any way to more precisely detail what the system had (such as the expensive SSD upgrade).

I have sold multiple Macs, iPhones and iPads to Gazelle and never had them lower the offer due to condition (I always select flawless). So that has not been an issue for me.

I have never seen any way to add custom upgrades like your SSD, so I think that does hurt you with a config. like you have.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 1.28.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 1.28.03 PM.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 1.27.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 1.27.57 PM.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 47

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have never seen any way to add custom upgrades like your SSD, so I think that does hurt you with a config. like you have.

I found it odd since these aren't exactly "custom upgrades" but are standard Apple BTO options. Of course the RAM was increased after purchase, but other than that the iMac was exactly as ordered and delivered with the serial number I entered on the Gazelle site as the top-end BTO iMac. It is a huge deal if they actually didn't account for the large internal SSD, since I believe that was a $1300 option at the time (glad those days are gone)!

It was also odd that SellYourMac didn't have that SSD size (768GB) in their list, although they did have 256, 512, and 1TB SSD in the list (for 2012 iMac I don't believe a full 1TB SSD was even offered, just the 768GB one).

You are probably right however, that the stock models (i.e. non-BTO) are probably more accurately priced on these reselling sites, and the top-end are better sold direct to the end user on eBay or CL for whatever the market will support. Even there, upgraded machines are more difficult to sell than the base models ... so I usually just keep them and pass them on to the kids.

Reactions: Weaselboy

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
I get too much more from selling on CL or even eBay.
These are the superior ways to sell the items, of course the downside is the amount of time or effort it takes.

You can trade your iPhone into Apple or Radioshack as well, but that is also a rip off. You will get a fraction of the item's value.

You left out Amazon. I've sold on there for years and have a pretty decent account built up. I prefer it to ebay.

Those other website options like Gazelle give you a paltry amount of money so I would not recommend them.

Though I don't like using Craigslist because I don't enjoy meeting up with thugs, the amount of money you get is the most and I do know people who prefer that route and they benefit from it. Obviously the chance of anything actually happening to you is slim to none if you're capable to any extent.

I've mainly used ebay and amazon, but I've also sold a lot of items on craigslist. I would say the time and effort craigslist takes is worth the money gained.

Another part I'll add in is obviously those stupid fees from ebay and Amazon take a *** all over you so that is another strike against them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.