Best way to sell opened, unused applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rmb7984, Oct 27, 2009.

1. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I need a little advice on the best way to sell an extra applecare agreement I have for a MacBook.

To make a long story short, my gf purchased applecare for her Macbook just before her 1 year warranty expired. Unfortunately, when I tried to register the agreement, the system told me that her computer was already covered by an agreement! It turned out that she purchased applecare with her computer and had forgotten!

Now we have an unused agreement that has been opened. Can anyone suggest the best way to sell it? It was purchased with a university discount and can be sold for less than $249.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

eBay or Craigslist. On eBay in particular, I would make it clear that you are an independent seller and not someone that sells hundreds and hundreds of these.

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Are you sure the Applestore won't take it back? You could try saying that the terms were not agreeable to you :)

4. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

why not trying returning it? Or is that not an option.

If not, just sell it on eBay, say exactly what you just said just there. You'll take a hit on fees but it's better than losing $250 bucks.

I used to be really into craigslist, but eBay is just easier to coordinate and there's no fear of getting ganked.

5. rmb7984 thread starter macrumors regular

rmb7984

I tried that. Unfortunately it was purchased at the university bookstore with a large sticker stating "no returns if opened". They even turned me away when I asked!

6. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

How can they have a non returnable item with a hidden EULA that you have to open the box to see?
    That sounds like a violation of Apples policy to me.

7. rmb7984 thread starter macrumors regular

rmb7984

Thanks for all of the input. I'll just post it on ebay and hope for the best.