Best way to send analog audio to my stereo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubescent, Dec 24, 2015.

1. tubescent macrumors newbie

I have been playing music on my Macbook Pro using my headphone output to my stereo.
    However the mini jack inevitably goes bad within a couple of months and I am wondering if there is a better options?
    I was wondering if I can send audio out of my USB socket? With just a USB to phono? or am I dreaming? : )
    If not do I need to buy an interface?
    Just want a simple cheap solution that wont crackle and go kaput after a couple of months.

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

you're connecting to a stereo amplifier? check out usb DACs...like audioengine, nuforce etc (look on amazon for some idea about reviews, pricing). i have a couple of interfaces, but mostly use the nuforce uDac3...nice. which macbook pro?

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Buy an Airport express and connect that to your stereo. Then send the music from your MacBook Pro wirelessly.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'd use a DAC, you'll get both much better sound quality out of your computer and you'll save your headphone jack in the process (though the headphone jack should work fine for years of plugging and unplugging, so that shouldn't concern you).

If you don't want to spend too much, look at Schiit audio products. Quality, well made, and definitely affordable. Their entry level DAC the Modi 2 starts a $99.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

6. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

As someone who owns a number of very expensive usb dac's (and some not so expensive ones) I'd say...maybe.

The Airport Express supports lossless streaming and as most things Apple, has a pretty respectable DAC in it. Few regular people listening through their home stereo are going to be able to hear any difference, and a sub $100 usb-DAC may well sound worse. The freedom from having to be physically wired is usually going to be a lot more compelling.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

9. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

If the stereo has an optical input, the Airport Express will provide the lossless audio signal without converting it at all and let the stereo do it.

I would go Airport Express regardless. Too much extra functionality over a separate DAC for the price. If the stereo doesn't have digital in then worrying about the quality of analogue conversion is unlikely to be relvant compared to the other specs.

10. makinao, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015

makinao macrumors regular

11. tubescent thread starter macrumors newbie

macbook pro: 2.53 GHz, 4GB, OS 10.6.8
    stereo is a 70's job, so optical? - don't even need to look ;)
    Some really helpful suggestions here, I'll have a look at some options.