Best way to share folders between OSX and XP Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SDAVE, Jun 28, 2007.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

2. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

4. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Schweet! It worked! I can mount all my Windows drives on my Mac desktop!

I can see the home folder of OSX in Windows, but how would I go on about sharing a whole hard drive with no read or write restrictions in OSX?

Also how would I have OSX auto connect these drives when it logs in? Is this possible?

Thank you!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can add shared folders from your PC to your Mac's Login items in System Preferences, if you like. I'm pretty hungover and not really sure whether you're wanting to share the OSX drive or Windows one though. Either way, I'm not sure it's such a brilliant idea. It's kinda just asking for trouble, giving another OS unlimited access to all your system files.

6. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hungover eh? Been there plenty :)

I want to share drives 2 ways....but on the Mac side I don't plan to share the main drive, I have a 400 GB media drive that's separate from the OS drive, so no worries. Does OSX have hidden restrictions for reading and riting?

7. mechelaar macrumors newbie

Hi There,

I'm very new to the forums.

I just got an MBP for personal use ( I use a G5 at work) and I'm trying to network it with my main desktop with all my work on it so I can access the files directly from the Windows machine.

I followed all the instructions in that article to the letter and I am able to connect to my MBP from my Windows machine no problem. I can see the whole directory and transfer files back and forth.

However, when I try to connect to the Windows machine from my MBP, the icon in the finder under (my network name) is kind of greyed out and when I try to click on it the Finder gives me an opportunity to enter my logon credentials but as I klick Ok, it says that Alias could not be found and I should try to fix it or Delete it (I'm assuming a pretty standard message)
    I'm on 10.4.10 if that makes any diff.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
    Andrei

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Whaddya mean, mate? :eek:

So are you connecting to a PC or a Mac? You mention a G5 and Windows, so I'm a bit confused. Sorry. If it's a work machine running Windows, you might need to talk to your IT admin about how it has been set up and whether there might be any customised security settings preventing you from connecting to it.

9. mechelaar macrumors newbie

Sorry for the confusion.

G5 is at work and has nothing to do with this current dilemma. I just mentioned it to show that I had OSX experience prior to getting the MBP for personal use.

I am at home trying to connect to the Windows machine with my MBP.

I can connect to the MBP from the Windows machine but not the other way around. And I need to be able to connect to the Windows machine from MBP.

I can see the Windows machine in the Finder, but it tells me that the

"Alias could not be opened because the original item cannot be found."

I tried to play with Firewall settings on the Windows machine, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good.

Thanks.

Andrei