Best way to share from Imovie for DVD creation

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by vidnewguy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. vidnewguy macrumors newbie

I am converting old family VHS to DVD using imovie 08. Capture is via Canopus ADVC110. I have tried various intermediate formats to share imovie before using IDVD to create the dvd. I have used formats including export to large movie, export to QT Apple TV, export to qt mpeg4(really distorted), qt at native compression, qt with comp H264 and others. With export to QT I always select best quality. Regardless of the format, there is loss of resolution. Does anyone have suggestions concerning the best format for the share phase?

I have also used FCE4 but my results are not any better.

Thanks for any help.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

When compress and/or exported, quality will be lost. The question is how much is the quality loss (a before and after would be helpful). If it is going from a OK looking video (it's from VHS, what do you expect) to a few pixels, then you have a problem. You shouldn't worry about how good the video looks as much as will it matter depending on the what the destination of the video will be. Do you want to put it on an Apple TV, iPod, DVD, YouTube? It seems that you want to put it onto a DVD. It's obviously not going to look as good as The Dark Knight on DVD (not Blu-Ray) because you are getting video off of VHS tapes which are analog (not great quality). I suggest that you deal with the quality loss if it's not terribly bad. If it is then post back here and we will try to solve your problem.
    I hope that we can figure out how to fix this. Please don't hesitate to post back here or PM me with any questions or problems you may have. If you have a question or problem not relating to this topic then you can start a new thread or post on an old one by doing a search or PM me. This will bring the old thread to the top of the list where members can see it.

Regards,
    David

3. -DH macrumors 65816

Go directly to iDVD ... skip all the intermediate codecs ... you're just compressing more and degrading the quality at every step.

-DH