Best way to share imovie for DVD creation

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by vidnewguy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. vidnewguy macrumors newbie

I am capturing and editing video with IMovie 08. About an hour of captured DV creates about 13GB length file. I have tried several ways to share as a movie for creation of a DVD with IDVD 08. I am disappointed in the degradation in quality of the final DVD. I have tried sharing to media browser and also exporting as a movie. In either case the final DVD file is much smaller than 4.7 GB that would fit on the DVD. The quality is also degraded.

Any suggestions on how best to go from the IMovie stage to the DVD stage. Incidentally, when sharing as a movie I have used the setting for large movie and the IDVD setting of professional quality.

2. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

hey...try this...in iMovie 08, when you go to share, choose export to Quicktime, then choose the Quicktime to DV option (I'm going by memory so forgive me if I'm not exact). After the DV file is created, open iDVD, choose your theme, and drag the dv file(s) to the iDVD window. When you create it as DV, it doesn't show in the media browser even if you save it in the Movies folder/thingy (at least from what I experienced). Then set iDVD to professional quality. Supposedly that should give you quality on par with iMovie 6. Let us know how it turns out. Now if you need to do chapters and that stuff, well I'm not sure. :)

Good luck