Best way to share keyboard / mouse between computers

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HurdSL, Aug 11, 2011.

1. HurdSL macrumors newbie

So I just purchased a 13" MBA and I'm loving it. I'm going off to college soon, but I'll also be bringing my Windows 7 desktop. I want to be able to share peripherals between them, namely my mouse and keyboard. Any suggestions as how to do this best

Thanks

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I just use a USB usb with my keyboard, mouse, web cam, usb sound card and all other accessories connected to it. Then I just use a single USB cable to connect to whatever computer I need to.

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

4. Wormald macrumors regular

Have a look at Synergy: http://synergy-foss.org/

I used this a couple of years ago at work when I had to switch between a Mac and PC on the same desk.

It takes a bit of configuring, but basically it's like VNC for mouse / keyboard - one computer is host, one is client.

You can set it up so that you can move the mouse between both desktops when the screens are next to each other - quite crazy.

Although this is only really useful if you want to use both computers simultaneously, as the one that your peripherals are plugged into must be on to transfer the signals to the other.

5. shznit macrumors member

Synergy is awesome, I take my MacBook Air to work and it automatically connects to my Dell.

6. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

I have my MBP and work Windows laptop connected to a monitor, keyboard, mouse and audio through a KVM switch.

Belkin Flip

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

If you have bluetooth, there is apparently software called "teleport" that you can use to accomplish what is described above using the KVM switch.