Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I would like to share a video of diving in Thailand we made to my parents.

What would be the best given:

- we both have optic fiber, I have symmetric 1 Gbps and they have 300 Mbps
- I'd rather something simple where you don't need to register, nor to open account
- no streaming, just the file sent as it was made

Through iMessages or iCloud would that work? I am not confortable putting that on the cloud, though.

Any suggestions are more than welcomed!

They have a Mac mini and an old iPad Air.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Hello there

I would like to share a video of diving in Thailand we made to my parents.

What would be the best given:

- we both have optic fiber, I have symmetric 1 Gbps and they have 300 Mbps
- I'd rather something simple where you don't need to register, nor to open account
- no streaming, just the file sent as it was made

Through iMessages or iCloud would that work? I am not confortable putting that on the cloud, though.

Any suggestions are more than welcomed!

They have a Mac mini and an old iPad Air.

I share videos up to 5GB all the time to people using Maildrop. Mail it to them and when the prompt comes up that its too large and would you like to use Maildrop, say yes. They’ll have 30 days to download.

Reactions: a2jack

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks for your message. Does that mean I have to install Maildrop on both Mac?

Last edited:

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I tried Mail drop but it doesn't work: the file is sent as a regular attached file. Then on the other side, the file is downloading within Mail but there is an error.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello

File says error on the other side. I’ll go back home next month, it will easier to transfer. Stupid not working Apple tech.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Is there some reason you can't use YouTube? Then just send them a link and they can click to open. You can specify it as "private" so only they can see it. Or, copy it to a stick and send it to them in the regular mail.

Moving large files from point-to-point, especially without dedicated accounts, is not easy and certainly platform agnostic. Perhaps a more accurate statement: "Stupid not working tech."

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
I second the Dropbox suggestion. iCloud files should work too. Assuming you have enough storage.

I’ve also been known to put a large file on a cheap USB stick and snail mail it to the destination. I’m not proud of it but it works... just sayin’.

Last edited:

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I usually use Dropbox. If you send a USB stick, reformat it to ExFat or MacOS.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Is there some reason you can't use YouTube? Then just send them a link and they can click to open. You can specify it as "private" so only they can see it.

"Private" requires the recipient of the link to have a YouTube account. If you specify "unlisted," anyone with the link can watch it.

Last edited:

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
I use send by Firefox. I’m flying to my parents place in 10 days so I’ll check if it worked.

Thanks for your suggestions. I wish there was a simple and working way to send large files!without registering an account.

Maybe there will be new features announced on this next week, hopefully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.