Best way to share USB drive on ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NullMind, Oct 24, 2012.

1. NullMind macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2009
    Im replacing my MacPro with a Macbook Pro, unfortunately the internal storage is not enough, I need to move around inside our offices, so as such I need ot be able to do the following

- Have 2 external drives
    -- 1 Drive for Time Machine
    -- 1 Drive for extra storage

I already have a nice 3TB USB drive, I was planning to get a second one, what can I use to connect them to the master switch (ethernet) so I can access the data on the extra storage data and at the same time continue to backup my internal (and hopefully the network drive as well) to time machine ?

I head about Airport Express, seems to only accept one drive, s my best (most native) was to get two airport express and plug a drive to each ? or is there another solution on the market ?

thanks for any advise

2. satcomer macrumors 603

Feb 19, 2008
    The Finger Lakes Region
    If you are using wireless or gigabyte Ethernet.

At home I use a Airport Time Capsule (but an Airport Extreme will be the same) , with a powered USB2 hub, and just use the sharing feature in the Airport Capsule and save music, pictures & movies to two different older externals 9plugged into the hub). It work get on wireless N using the upper 5GHz range (to avoid other wireless networks in my building) and it works great in my flat.

Now in you case you need a USB to Ethernet adapter for each drive. Just make sure in your subnet you use Gigabyte Ethernet cable and a gigabyte switch or router.