Best way to share USB drive on ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NullMind, Oct 24, 2012.

1. NullMind macrumors newbie

Im replacing my MacPro with a Macbook Pro, unfortunately the internal storage is not enough, I need to move around inside our offices, so as such I need ot be able to do the following

- Have 2 external drives
    -- 1 Drive for Time Machine
    -- 1 Drive for extra storage

I already have a nice 3TB USB drive, I was planning to get a second one, what can I use to connect them to the master switch (ethernet) so I can access the data on the extra storage data and at the same time continue to backup my internal (and hopefully the network drive as well) to time machine ?

I head about Airport Express, seems to only accept one drive, s my best (most native) was to get two airport express and plug a drive to each ? or is there another solution on the market ?

thanks for any advise

Carlos

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you are using wireless or gigabyte Ethernet.

At home I use a Airport Time Capsule (but an Airport Extreme will be the same) , with a powered USB2 hub, and just use the sharing feature in the Airport Capsule and save music, pictures & movies to two different older externals 9plugged into the hub). It work get on wireless N using the upper 5GHz range (to avoid other wireless networks in my building) and it works great in my flat.

Now in you case you need a USB to Ethernet adapter for each drive. Just make sure in your subnet you use Gigabyte Ethernet cable and a gigabyte switch or router.