Best way to share??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sapphire08, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Sapphire08 macrumors member

Sapphire08

We have two intel imacs (os x) running in the same building (home based small business) and want/need to share some files, photos and other stuff - How are we best to do this please??

EG most inportant one - Accounting software - we both need to access the same file - at the same time would be great but isn't critical.

Would we need a copy of the software on both machines and share the actual data file??

Will bonjour or drop box work or do we need a server with one copy of the software and file on it but both access it :confused: (I have no idea how servers work :( )

Any advice would be very much appreciated

2. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

In theory i basic wireless network will work... However I had problems setting mine up so I would ask someone else about how... As for the using the same file, I think you can do that unlike windows but it will not be live e.g. as you type, the other person see's things change on their screens.... My solution is you save at regular intervals but never at the same time

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Sharing the same files is not a problem, sharing the same software is. It is much easier to install the software onto both units and access the same file or update the same file; accessing the same software requires a remote desktop connection, etc.

Dropbox is great, and will sync your files for free. So will MobileMe and sugarsync. You could also just add local storage to your network (a drive accessed on your network by both computers) and go from there.

4. Sapphire08 thread starter macrumors member

Sapphire08

Thank you both.

We are both connected to the same router and are obviously wireless with airport too? but I'm not entirely sure how to set up a 'network' for us??

I tried the drop box and it seems to work sometimes and not others - sometimes the other machine can't access it?? or even see it soemtimes?? Any idea why that would be??

Any recommended settings that I might not be aware of please??