Best way to sign documents with Apple Pencil?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marlman, Jul 27, 2017.

1. marlman macrumors regular

marlman

i recently received a PDF document which i had to sign and send back. So since I have a new 10.5 pro and an Apple Pencil i thought i would be clever and do it all on the iPad it was not as easy as i thought it would be.

I eventually did it by saving the PDF to Dropbox then signing it with my Apple Pencil and replying by adding it has an attachment.

Is there a easier or better way? I am still on iOS 10.3.3 by the way

2. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Ton of options. Believe one in app store is hello sign, Adobe has a app too intended just for that. Fill and sign or.something is name. If you can't find a better suited one when I get home I'll see. I've found several that work good. Have hope.

3. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Not related, but on this note, has anybody tried to use a normal iPad and their finger to sign a document?

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

No matter what you do, you're going to have to save the document before you can sign it. You will always have took send it back as an attachment - just like you would on a desktop.

5. marlman thread starter macrumors regular

marlman

Just found that the OneDrive app does a good job. So that is what I will be using in the future importing into one drive, sign and send as an attachment.

6. Hym tix macrumors member

Hym tix

I was going to suggest OneDrive. Works great for me too.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

You can do it probably. I've used an iPad Air 2 and an adonit pixel stylus and to sign a document and it worked.

8. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Just FYI, iOS 11 makes this process much easier. When you open the PDF in Mail, there’s an annotation button at top-right. Tap that, sign where necessary, and click “Done” at top-left. You’re then presented with options to Reply, New Message, or Discard the changes. If you click Reply/NewMessage, the signed PDF is attached to mail, ready to send.

There is also a share button next to the annotation one - after signing you can use that to send the annotated PDF to another app, etc.

9. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

This is not new to iOS 11. I've been doing this in iOS 10 for some time. You just open the PDF in the mail app, and you can sign it and then email it back. You don't need any other apps. Also, you can save your signature to use in the future so no need to even have an Apple Pencil. I just used a regular cheap stylus. It took a number of tries to get my signature to look good, but now I just use my saved signature and place it on the document.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

11. Lion007s macrumors member

Lion007s

In the Mail app, open the attachment, then hit the share sheet button and from the More section in the share sheet, select Markup. This will allow you to edit a document and save it and email it back (iOS 10).

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Yep--we just bought a new house and sold our other one. I almost never have to sign stuff, so this was the first time I'd tried it with Apple Pencil. I was doing it in one of the Readdle apps at first, and then realized that you can do it right from Mail which is where I was getting all the documents anyway. Went much quicker after that. I love not having to use a printer anymore just for the purpose of signing and returning things.