Best way to 'silence' watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by HowlinAl, May 26, 2015.

1. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

Still waiting for my watch... I'm curious about mute/do not disturb features. There are a lot of occasions when I just want a watch and not something pinging and tapping me.

The Mute feature, covering the face for about 3 seconds with palm - does this also mute haptics? Is there as simple a way to un-mute?

Sliding into Power Reserve Mode seems like a quick and simple solution too. Just a long press on the button and slide into reserve mode. If i do this will my missed notifications, etc be pulled back into the watch when I go back to normal watch mode?

Enabling Do Not Disturb is another way, but I have the same question as with power reserve mode... will I miss those notifications, or will they get pulled onto the watch after I turn off Do Not Disturb?

Thanks!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Mute feature just turns off sound, doesn't turn off haptic.

Power reserve mode is easy to get into, but in order to get out of it, you have to restart the watch. Not worth it just to stop notification.

Turning on Do Not Disturb is as easy to do as turning on mute. You just bring up your glances, slide over to the "settings" glance, and you can turn Mute or DND on/off from there. It sounds complicated when you write it out, but once you have the watch, I think you'll find that the gestures become second nature, and it'll be quite simple.

Covering the watch face only mutes phone calls, I believe, and only for that one single instance. I may be wrong though, as I've never actually tried this feature.

As for whether you get your missed notifications while DND was on, I don't think so. I have my phone and watch set to automatically go into DND every night, and I never notice any new notifications on the watch when I put it on in the morning. However, for me, the point of the watch is I get notifications on it in real time. If I miss notifications when they first come in, then checking them later on the watch is a pain due to the small screen. I'd much rather check them on my phone. So maybe notifications while in DND are showing on my watch, but I never notice them because I don't consciously look for them? Hard to say.

3. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Once you get your watch and use it for a day or two, you might find that you appreciate the taptic notifications. They are very subtle. I have all sound off on my watch since day 1, so only have the taptic notifications. They are easy to ignore if I want to (when driving, for instance), and let me quickly look to see what's going on and then either act or do nothing. Very unobtrusive.

4. echo4sierra macrumors member

echo4sierra

In Glances, in the first pane, you can choose Airplane Mode, Do Not Disturb, or Mute. I keep mine on mute and rely on haptics only. No noise, not noticeable to anyone near.

Easier than putting in reserve mode.

Notifications are tricker since they're synced with the phone. Whichever one you view first is where you see it. I just got a text and read it on my watch-so the notification (but not the actual text) disappeared from the phone.

5. HowlinAl thread starter macrumors regular

HowlinAl

Great point.

----------

I play guitar and sing in a lot of fancy restaurants etc. so I'm looking forward to wearing the watch as jewelry and I'm curious about what happens with my heart rate and so on while I'm performing. But I'm not sure I'm going to want to feel taps on my wrist, no matter how subtle, while I'm playing.

I appreciate the responses. Really looking forward to getting it.

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

You can go in to settings and turn sounds and haptics off. But they're a coupe menus down. There's only a quick access "mute sound" button.

Or set your phone to mirror the DND mode on your phone and set DND to ON when you perform.

Putting the watch in power-save mode will disable the HR sensor.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The button to turn DND on/off is right next to the mute button. It's a "moon" icon.

8. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Doh! Completely forgot it was there.

9. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I also turned off watch sounds on Day 1. I have Haptic strength at max (but not "prominent") and they only time I missed one is while rolling out the trash can to the curb. Otherwise I have noticed every notification, and I love that they are silent (no more buzzing of the phone's vibrator either).

10. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Same here. I've seen lots of users post about the prominent haptic, but I've never felt the need to try it. Having it at max strength is plenty for me.