Best way to spend $100 student gift card?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yongren, Jun 23, 2011.

1. yongren, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

yongren macrumors regular

Hey, so I'm planning to purchase a MBA as soon as the new models are released, which will also get me $100 to spend in the Mac App Store...

I'm not too interested in buying a lot of music/videos from iTunes, and I already have iWork. What's the most awesome thing I can get in the App Store for under $100?

Yeah, I know it's a vague question, but I'd just like some ideas. I'm sure a lot of people will be facing the same question in the next few weeks/months, anyway.

Thanks!

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

If you are interested in photography, Aperture will be a good choice ($79.99)

3. LazyMacGuy macrumors member

Two great productivity apps are fantastical and alfred. I couldn't work without them there only small but very effective.

4. reubs macrumors 68000

I'd suggest saving the money from Fantastical and going with QuickCal instead. Same features (for the most part) without the UI. Granted, the Fantastical UI is really nice looking; I'm not sure it's worth the extra $14. Also, QuickCal integrates in Alfred very nicely.

5. LazyMacGuy macrumors member

I had never heard of Quickcal however now looking into it i would agree with reubs. Fantastical has a nicer ui but in terms of functionality they are the same with quick cal being significantly cheaper.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

7. jpws6 macrumors newbie

I am also looking at how to spend my gift card. Being this is my first mac, I was looking at some of the reviews in the app store for Aperture and several mentioned that is was slow and crashed often, has anyone experienced this ?

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Buy Better Touch Tool (there may or may not be spaces between those words).

It's only a few dollars I think, but it's sweet. Activate Windows snapping like Windows 7 and your laptop experience will be so much better. (I couldn't live without it on these small screens)

9. TheSkullKing macrumors newbie

Moom

I'd personally recommend Moom. It's a very lightweight and stylish window management tool. Supports hotkeys for custom window positions and resizes and also has a very nice UI to position windows with your mouse.

Edit: Also if you enjoy Pandora, Last.fm or Grooveshark, try out Musicality. It lets you use those services as if they were iTunes with the media buttons on your keyboard.

10. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

Do you have a lot of music? I just bought tagalicious and it has done an excellent job cleaning up my music. WAY better then TuneUp in my opinion.

The only problem i've ran into is that it crashes when I try to clean up more then about 60 songs at a time.

11. rien333 macrumors regular

Braid is an excellent game, although I don't know if you're into games.

12. yongren thread starter macrumors regular

I had BetterTouchTool on my MacBook Pro, and I don't remember paying for it... is it not a free download anymore? or is there some kind of pro version?

I'd be interested in hearing about this also.

13. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Right now it's in the Mac AppStore for $. I guess it's not free like it used to be, sadly :/ unless the website has it for free (which would be odd) but you can check.

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

BetterTouchTool is still free. BetterSnapTool (as mentioned above) is a pay app on the Mac App Store.

For Windows 7 style Window snapping I purchased a little app called Cinch.

I also switched from BetterTouchTool to MagicPrefs (also free) for gestures on my Magic Mouse. I prefer it.