Best way to start using my iPhone x on Friday

allan53

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
New Hampshire
i will make a backup of my 7 plus and then restore it to the x.

My questions are
1. Should I remove my sim from the 7 plus and insert it in the x before I even turn on the x, or should I set up the x as a restore and then power down and switch the sim?
2. Our should I just use the SIM card that is in the x and call Verizon to activate?

Thanks.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
The easiest thing to do is to put the SIM from your 7 Plus into the X before you ever turn it on. Then just power it on and restore it from a backup.

allan53

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
New Hampshire
Thanks. Can I then put my wife’s sim from her 6splus into the 7plus and restore to set up the 7plus for her?

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Great. I am giving the 6s plus to my son who does not have afore sized sim. Do I just put the one that came with the x into the 6splus before giving it to him. Of course I will wipe it first.
You can’t wipe a SIM card. You’ll need to get a nano sim from the carrier for your son’s account in order for him to keep his number.

allan53

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
New Hampshire
Ok, but can I just put the sim that came with the x - isn’t it blank sine I never used it - in the 6splus?

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Ok, but can I just put the sim that came with the x - isn’t it blank sine I never used it - in the 6splus?
It depends. Are you in the states? If so, I believe all phones sold are tied to a carrier account, meaning that sim is preprogrammed for whosever account the iPhone X was ordered under.

Iaaaaan

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Correct me if im wrong, but every time i've updated I've never had to swap my sim cards?.. Once I go through the activation process on the new phone the old phone then stops receiving service.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Correct me if im wrong, but every time i've updated I've never had to swap my sim cards?.. Once I go through the activation process on the new phone the old phone then stops receiving service.
Correct, but sometimes activation servers get bogged down or there are issues. Once I could use data immediately, but couldn't make or receive calls for two days. It's easier to put your old SIM in the new phone and turn it on instead of activating the phone with the installed SIM card.