best way to stay protected

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BrettFarve04, Apr 23, 2009.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

With all the new threats out there for us mac users...i get to thinking about security. What's a good way to keep myself protected against harm?

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No need to worry about viruses. There are none.
    The primary threat is trojans, which can be prevented by these steps:
    1. Be careful where you get software (no torrent sites)
    2. Be careful what software you install
    3. Think before you enter your administrative password.

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Always wear a seat belt.

Honestly however, I'd say that when running OS X you still don't need antivirus going, but you need to practice safe habits. Watch what software you download by getting reputable of opinions of it first. The two recent malware hits came bundled in pirated versions of software (iLife and Adobe CS4). Not that you would download this stuff illegally anyway, but this yet another reason to use legit software.

5. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Mac OS X isn't perfect. NO OS is perfect. Then again, the risk are minimal at best right now. No active virus that we know of right now, only trojans that are bundled with torrent apps. If you're doing no illegal activity, you should be totally safe.

Being informed is a lot better then buy an anti-virus. If any real major Virus ever go out for OSX, you can bet MacRumors and any Mac websites will get informations about it the same day it's found.

Mac OS X is 8 years old, and still haven't been attack by anything serious or really threatening

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Wear a keyboard condom so we don't have to hear another thread about how someone "spilled _____ on their 1 day old UMBP11!!1". Oh, and it helps prevent viruses too.

7. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502