Best way to store files remotely?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Videomanmac, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

I need a solution like dropbox, but does not store a copy on my machine. I do A LOT of work on my Mac. My windows desktop has a 2TB drive, and it is 3/4th filled. My Mac only has 256GB SSD, so buying dropbox that can store up to 1TB would cause problems. Any ideas?

I am constantly connected to the internet, and while I shouldn't be, I am trusting of the Cloud.

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try Mega 50Gb free. You can select what to sync with the local machine and or store solely in the Cloud. Mega also provided point to point encryption, if you need more space you can purchase or try a different provider likely at a cost.

Depending on your mobility a NAS may well be a better solution, I have just set up a portable NAS with a Seagate Wireless 2TB drive on one of my Windows machines, no need for Cloud. To me the Cloud offers convenience, not security therefore it`s always prudent to keep a local back up, want to keep it safe, encrypt it.

Q-6

3. mindquest macrumors regular

Selective sync for Dropbox lets you choose which folders to put on your computer.
    https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/175#select

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Sounds like you need a lot of storage. Get an NAS.

5. Videomanmac thread starter macrumors 6502

I am on a college campus, so I'm unsure if a NAS will work.

In regards to Dropbox selective sync, if I unsync them, then I can no longer access them from Dropbox.

6. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

They will still be on Dropbox in the cloud and you can access the files with a browser. You can resync it later if you need it on your local drive.

7. lchlch macrumors 6502a

You could use the Dropbox web client on your Mac.

Alternatively if your pc is on all the time you may want to try BitTorrent sync.