Best way to stream digital media

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by demarcopbl, Jan 30, 2011.

1. demarcopbl, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

demarcopbl macrumors member

Between Netflix, digital media libraries and streaming media, I have decided its time to get rid of my cable TV service.

I currently spend about 900/year on cable, so I feel that by canceling the subscription, I can justify a new macbook pro purely for streaming media through the tv. I would hardwire the MBP to a router, and stream / store all my media on it. This would be a great solution - it would be a dedicated media machine, and id have an extra laptop.

My question is, is this the best way to control all my media?

I also have a imac, which I would be able to add into the mix. Would an airport extreme and apple tv be able to do the same thing as a dedicated laptop, if I stored all my digital copy on there?

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

2. GGJstudios, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To edit your thread title, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where you can edit the thread title.

This tip helps, regardless of your thread's topic or purpose.

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

3. demarcopbl thread starter macrumors member

@GGJstudios

thanks for the info - I realized my title was nondescript, couldnt immediately see where to change it. edited.

4. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

don't buy mbp for streaming if you hook it up to router directly. Buy a Mac Mini --- cheaper --- and there are many many tutorials on how to set up a mac mini streaming entertainment center.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

I would consider an xbox 360 or ps3 plus an Ethernet tv tuner.

6. demarcopbl thread starter macrumors member

@Neverhadapc

- I never considered the mac mini, although it is cheaper and may be a solid option. Out of interest, why would you suggest not to stream via a mbp over a router?

@vistadude

thanks for the advice - I already have an xbox360. I use it for playing games on, and never thought to use it as a media hub. I would still need a computer for a) streaming and b) storing video libraries so its not my best solution. I love it for netflix though.

As for the tuner - the more I think about it, the more im done with the current TV offerings altogether. Too many ads, too many crappy shows, too expensive for what you get.

Let me stream the few shows I watch (dont mind waiting a day or so) and access my video and music library whenever I want, and im set.

7. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Media streaming I would go for mac mini. I have one and I am very happy.

The HDMI out is worth it alone. It allows for multichannel audio out. It is a better suited component for the home theatre. It fits really well.

You will need an external HD for storage as its internal HD is a bit small.

Then install plex and you are good to go.

8. demarcopbl thread starter macrumors member

Hey - thanks for your input. Does this mean I can hook it up to a multi channel receiver??

In other words, mac mini, tv and speakers go into the receiver?

If thats the case, it'd be a perfect solution.

On a related note, do you ever experience any delay/flickering with your setup?

thanks to everyone who has posted for your advice.