Best way to surf protected in Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joms, Mar 30, 2010.

1. joms macrumors member

I am currently using windows to do Internet Banking. In doing this, My Kaspersky Antivirus is active and I run Sandboxie (www.sandboxie.com) to make sure that I am protected from malware/virus/etc.

Now that I am transferring to MAC, sandboxie is not an option anymore since it only works for Windows.

In this regard, what programs or precautions should i install in my MAC to protect myself at a maximum level while doing internet banking. I am quite scared to just login using a browser without any antivirus/sandboxie/etc.

I know many would say that MAC doesn't need any anti-virus or such but we are talking INTERNET BANKING here and I wan't to be triple sure so I don't want to take any chances. I feel naked loging in and doing internet banking without any antivirus or protective software running.

Help.

2. JavierP macrumors regular

If you don't want to take any chances

1) Download and burn an ubuntu or other linux dist live cd
    2) Boot from that
    3) Go to your bank site only
    4) Reboot to Mac OS X

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^
    A little extreme. Use the Mac firewall. Don't let your password be saved to the Mac. Don't log in as administrator. Set passwords for your user account and your root.

4. joms thread starter macrumors member

By the way, on top of the Kaspersky and Sandboxie, I also use Kaspersky's Virtual Keyboard in entering my login details to make sure that no keystroke logger can detect my login details.

Does MAC offer these protections? I'm still paranoid in using internet banking with just the plain MAC OSX even if everyone says that MAC doesn't have any virus/etc. It's just too risky without any added protection (sandboxie, kaspersky antivirus, virtual keyboard)

5. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

OS X sandboxing

McAfee has AV for Mac, OS X does sandboxing in general you can download a GUI tool to harden or soften the sandboxing in OS X. There are also many keylogger detector software packages you can download for OS X use google and find one you like. OS X is very secure out of the box and with good user and admin passwords it is very unlikely that anyone could get past the basic security of a UNIX based OS like OS X it is a completely different world than Windows. Oh yeah and about the on screen keyboard OS X includes one for security.

6. capsicon macrumors newbie

Create Guest account on your mac.

You can create Guest Account on your mac and use it just for internet banking and every time you logout from Guest Account everything is deleted on that Guest Account, also check with you bank many banks now provide 'security key' that changes every minute if username and password recorded they can't login without 6 digit key that changes it self every minute good for overseas trips too. And just like others said Ubuntu live CD boot from it use it and reboot back to mac osx. But out of all of those 'security key' is the best you can basically tell your username or password to a stranger and they can't do anything with it because they don't have your key.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

The best way to secure your Mac is to keep it up-to-date. Don't use it in Admin User mode, and don't install any software that a) you didn't go looking for yourself, or b) because of a "warning" screen.

I like the idea of using the built in "Guest Account" though, for the uber-cautious.

Statistically, at this point, your account is more likely to be hacked at the bank's end rather than your end.

I've been banking online for years (both my business and personal accounts) on my Mac with no specific precautions, other than never saving the password in Keychain, and never banking from a public wifi.

Never had a problem. Ever. It's only been this year that I changed my primary user account from Admin to Standard.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Given the OP's stated level of paranoia, this is the best option.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Another year-old thread resurrection by a first-time poster, posting nonsense!
    None of that is necessary or effective. The current safeguards in https sites is sufficient protection on their end. As long as you're not on a public or poorly-protected wireless network, your chances of having your information compromised is somewhere between slim and none. And you don't need Ubuntu or any antivirus software.
    Whether you run a standard or admin user account makes no difference.

For protection ideas, read this:

10. 2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

That link GG does not give any 100% guarantee that the user will be safe.

11. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Only issue with the administrator part: you login started to the standard user can you?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no guarantees in life.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Wait? There's not?! :)

14. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Op, I have a doubt that anything involving threats to online banking target individual computers. If I were in a thief's shoes, I'd rather attack the bank's server to lay my hands on tens or hundreds of accounts. It wouldn't be worth the effort to hack a user's computer only to find a few thousands dollars at most. Most fraud occur the good old way, by installing skimmers on ATMs and payment terminals, or photographing both sides of a credit card, in which case the legitimate user is never held responsible.

Of course all other advice apply.

15. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Too many....

possible answers and combinations:

Sandboxing plus VPN

Sandboxing plus Anonimous Proxies

VPN only....

Really depends in the amount of time and resources to be devoted....:confused:

:):apple:

16. CosmoFox macrumors regular

I second this. If he's really paranoid, this is a good option.

17. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

18. G4DP macrumors 65816

How about using the human brain. Just paying attention to what you do and don't do on the computer.

19. NexusHubs macrumors newbie

NexusHubs

From a developer's point of view, all you need to do are -

- Create a non-admin user for daily use
    - Do NOT change security setting to "Allow apps downloaded from anywhere" in your admin account

Antivirus software and firewall only make trouble on Macs.

20. 2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

How do you sandbox a web browser on a Mac?

21. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I agree. Geez.. It's good to practice safe internet browsing, but come on..

All you need are three things:
    1. Common sense
    2. Basic logic
    3. Practical mindset

22. wnorris, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014

wnorris macrumors member

wnorris

If you are this worried then JavierP provides a good solution. You could also look at using Tails inside Virtual Box (or other VM solution).

Edit: Upon thinking more about this, the best investment you could make is to take the time to learn exactly what is happening when you log into your banks site. There are a lot of great free resources you can use to learn what is safe and unsafe and whether you are going to extremes to protect something from happening that is as likely as a bolt of lightning striking you (maybe less). Moving from Windows to OS X is a good start to safer browsing in my mind. Ensure Java and Flash are disabled and you are probably safer than 95% of folks out there.

This is under the assumption that you are not doing anything that would warrant a person or group to target your financial info.

23. 2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

There are flaws in those steps, because "common sense" should not be confused with lack of education or knowledge about a particular topic. So many "common sensed" people can get infected. Hence, why so many people like to have an App which is written by people who are educated and have knowledge in the field to help protect their Mac.

For example, I wouldn't have a clue what areas I need to clean out and delete private and sensitive data from my web surfing so I rely on Apps written by educated people, e.g Onyx etc.

24. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I'm glad you've found something that works well for you.

25. 2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Yes I like Onyx, and I think it's doing what it claims, though I can't be sure, I only go by what others say and what the app claims.

But I think that's why many people use malware and virus apps even on Mac because they realise that "common sense" may still enable them to do something that may infect them. For example, "common sense" tells me that I should trust my friend I have known for 30 years, yet the App he gives me may be malware, unknown even to himself.

At end of the day, no App and no person and no amount of "common sense" can guarantee a person they won't get a malware etc.

Just always hope for the best and use the most "common sense" we can use :)