Best way to switch iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abyssgh0st, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Hey all,

I just got my 3G S a week ago and I snagged a pristine 8GB first gen today at the Apple store for a customer upgrading for only $80.

Without having to get a new SIM, or change my plan, what is the best way that I can just swap SIMs in and out of phones?

I want to use the 1st gen for a backup for when I'm camping, working, etc.

Thanks!

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Activate the 3GS as your phone with AT&T, and when you want to use the first gen phone, just take the 3GS SIM card out and put it in the other iPhone.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Just pop your current sim into the original iPhone and hook it up to iTunes. If it's not activated it will activate, set it up as a new iPhone or you can restore it from a backup of your current iPhone. Once it's done you can easily just swap the sim card back and forth with no problem from then on.

I had a 3GS for a couple days and did this with no problems until I decided to return it. Actually, the only issue you may run into is having to wait a few minutes for Visual Voicemail to activate each time you swap yor sim.

Enjoy!

4. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I was going to do this earlier, but I feared I would mess up my plan since it's coming from a 3G and 3G S sim, never had a 2G.

So activating it under my new 3G S sim won't change my rate plan or anything? I don't need to jailbreak? That's what AT&T told me.

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Your plan might flip flop between the two... only way to know for sure is to test it. And double check after you switch phones. But i think it will probably just stay on the $30 one all the time.

6. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I hope it doesn't flip flop.

Can anyone confirm if it stays at $30?

7. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Also, is there anything bad that could happen if my plan changes occasionally? Like problems with AT&T and billing?

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The only time your plan would flip flop is if you're putting a non-iPhone SIM (without an iPhone plan) into an iPhone. They're not going to care if you're putting an iPhone 3G plan into an iPhone EDGE phone (especially because the 3G plan costs more).

9. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I'm trying to activate via my 3G S SIM, via iTunes and this iPhone 2G. And it is making me set up my plan again, is this correct..?

10. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

When you turn the first gen phone on does it tell you to connect to iTunes or does it say no SIM? If it says to connect to iTunes, you're going to have to jailbreak it (which will activate it for you), then you'll be able to drop the SIM in and it will work without changing your plan.

11. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Guess I'm going to have to jailbreak, since it's saying connect to iTunes.

12. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I suggest QuickP0WN, it will only take a few minutes.

13. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You shouldnt have to jail break. Plug in the 2g phone with your sim card in it, activate it, and then switch it back. Double check your online account later (maybe a day), but it should be fine.

14. dave006 macrumors 68020

OK, let's make it simple. The original iPhone is designed to be paired with the SIM during iTunes Activation. So you just need to put your SIM into the original iPhone complete the activation. This will switch your data plan to the original $20 iPhone data plan. You can now switch your SIM between phones.

You should call Customer care and switch your data plan back to the $30 iPhone 3G data plan but that is up to you.

Dave

15. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

What if you put a 2G SIM into a 3G?

I'm giving my GF my 3G to replace her 2G.

(I just ordered a 3GS)

16. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

A 2G sim will work in a 3G phone as long as it has the 3G logo on it. Most should. If not she just needs to get a new sim from AT&T.

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

No problems going that route, again only the original iPhone paired the SIM with the iPhone. She can even just restore her iTunes backup to the iPhone 3G. Just note if she goes with the restore from her original iPhone, she may have to go into the iPhones "Settings" and turn on 3G.

She should just put her SIM into the iPhone 3G and call Customer Care to switch plans to the $30 iPhone 3G data plan. Yes, she can just keep using the $20 data plan but AT&T will know that she is using the iPhone 3G as soon as it connects the cell network. Currently they are only sending SMS Txt messages and Emails (if your profile allows email contact) warning you that you are using the incorrect data plan.

Dave

18. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

When I used my brother's iPhone 3G sim in my 2G for the first time, it told me to change plans. So I had to in order to unbrick it. I changed back to the $30.00 plan and now I don't have to worry, even when I change the sim cards.