Best way to sync a folder with an external hard drive? (Mavericks)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by soxguy17, Nov 29, 2013.

1. soxguy17 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.

Just grabbed myself a nifty 2TB WD external to use with my rMBP. I'll be using it to run Time Machine backups as well as store my Movies/Music. I'll be excluding my Movies/Music from the TM backups so I can access them with out going in to Time Machine, but it'd be great if my external could 'peek' in to my system, see what's been added to the Movies folder, and copy those items over.

Any software that might help with this?

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

3. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

4. pszilard macrumors member

Recommended Folder Sync prog for Big Data

I wish to migrate my photos and other data from a network connected Netgear ReadyNAS PRO to a Thunderbolt connected LaCie 2Big with 8TB of space.

I have licenses for Carbon Copy Cloner and FolderSync, but was wondering what program would be the best for transferring multi Tera bytes of files, that would handle any errors "gracefully" and provide clear and concise reporting and progress.

I am currently running FolderSync, as I type this. Twice it had stalled before, and the progress bar doesn't update itself unless its window has focus. I.e. the files Completed number doesn't change until I click on it's window, giving the impression that it had stalled, when in fact it hadn't. Just one example of niggles. That's why I am looking for recommendations.

5. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Automater and have it go by a name / date Just a thought. FYI I have the WD Ultra 2TB got it at Best Buy for 99 dollars , they stocked them in the wrong rack and had to honor the price

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

Try SyncTwoFolders, donationware. Bit of a hassle to understand at first, you will have to hover over the various buttons to see what they do. After you have it set up, it is really handy.
    http://throb.pagesperso-orange.fr/site/

7. new face macrumors newbie

I use Synkron

http://synkron.sourceforge.net/

Haven't had any trouble yet. The only annoying thing I've noticed is that if a folder ends with a blank space (it happens, sometimes you accidentally hit the space bar while naming a folder) then the copied folder will end with an underscore. So then the folders aren't named exactly the same, which is a pet peeve of mine.

Also you have to remember to set one folder as the "master" and the other as the "slave," or else the folders get combined (rather than one changing to mirror the other).