Best way to Sync Contacts w/ Google?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sammyman, Mar 13, 2011.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Right now my contacts are synced with google but I am having all kinds of syncing issues. Duplicate contacts are getting annoying, not only contacts, but duplication of numbers within each contact. Also, the last name sometimes gets duplicated. Is there any good way to sync contacts with google? I rely on google voice so it is really important to me.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Is Google the only place that you sync your contacts?

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. I have mobile me too. Two iPhones, and an iPad and a Mac. That's it. I have the google sync turned on in my contacts on my Mac.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I bet your problem is in Mobile Me. I see lots of complaints just like yours, and the common denominator is Mobile Me.

5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? Mobile Me is the problem? Well my subscription literally ended today, which is part of the reason why I am getting on here. I am trying to find an alternative at this point. I just need a good way to sync bookmarks, but most importantly contacts. Google would be great, but they can't group them yet (friends, family, etc) from what I have seen.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I sync mine to the address book on the Mac, even though I have a Gmail address.

7. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you think if I turn off mobile me, and leave the google sync option on in the address book, it should take care of my problems?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have MM and Google sync both turned on in my Address Book app and don't have any problems. I did learn not to make address changes in Google, but rather in my iPhone or Macbook, then let those get pushed to Google from my Macbook. Making changes to Google and having them sync back into the Address Book did cause problems for me.

9. djdinut1 macrumors newbie

Not Mobile Me Problem

I'm having the same problem; no end to contacts sync problems on my Apple device. In my case, the problem is with iPad. I am using it with Google and all my iPad contacts are supposed to sync with Google Contacts but it is not working. It's not a Mobile Me issue since I don't use Mobile Me. It's either an Apple device issue or Google does not allow the Apple devices to properly sync with Google Contacts. One clue is that the Apple devices do not support Google Contacts groups; none of my groups show up on the iPad. My research indicates Contacts groups only works with MobileMe. Whenever I try to create or change a contact on iPad, the change either never makes it to Google Contacts or the entry or change is duplicated on both the iPad and in Google Contacts. Anybody have any suggestions? My iPad is basically worthless for Contacts right now.

10. DonInPlaya macrumors newbie

I have a solution!

I just posted an application to the Mac App Store which will solve your problem. It's called "Contacts Sync With Groups." It allows you to sync your Mac Address book to Gmail and vice versa while maintaining group assignments. It started out as a project to help my dad, and now I've decided to share my work with all of you.

You can find it:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contactssyncwithgroups/id451691288

I'm working on porting it to the iPhone, so stay tuned.

11. edhands macrumors newbie

Godspeed Playaman

I have duplicate contact issue too. My Google Contacts is correct on my PC. I do not subscribe to Mobile Me, but get 'over the air' contact updates on my iPhone. Problem is duplicates on the iPhone. Some are double, some triple, . . . some 6x.
    Best Wishes on the app!