Best way to sync Gmail on iPhone and MacBook?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by soLoredd, Dec 28, 2007.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Just got my iPhone today and I am trying to figure out the best way to manage my e-mails from Gmail. Mail on my MB is configured for POP but I believe the iPhone uses IMAP. Would it be better to set up IMAP on my MB? I'm still confused as to the benefits of IMAP over POP or vice versa. Basically, I'd like to be able to check e-mails on both devices but if I get an e-mail that I need to save or archive from my iPhone to my MacBook, how do I do that?

2. memesmith macrumors regular

Yes, you'd be better off using IMAP. The difference being (siply put) that with POP, emails are stored on the server untill you download them, at which point, the machine to which you downloaded them becomes the main copy of the data. In IMAP the emails and everything you do, is stored on the gmail server, so the machines, be it iPhone or desktop, are looking at the same set of data. There's a YouTube video from Google about how to set up IMAP. That will tell you all you need to know.

3. soLoredd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info, I'll look for that video. Appreciated!