Best way to sync your iTunes library with multiple computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jmx, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Jmx macrumors member

Hi,

I've spent two days looking for a slick solution for syncing my itunes library between my macs and my Drobo backup.

I have still not found a single easy good solution for this.
    Currently my library is about 200 gb and i add music to it from two computers and have one backup on my Drobo.

Does anyone know how to best sync your libraries between the computers?
    I've done the home sharing thing for a year but i still end up with different libraries since i delete things on one computer which doesn't get deleted on the next and so on.
    I want them all to be 1-1 synced.

Best would of course to have it automated running o the background without having to manually select files that need to be transfered to the next device and so on.

I wonder it a program like carbon copy cloner is up for it, but it will probably sunc the music but not update the library.xml... so how would you do this?

2. MacForScience, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Best bet is to set your iTunes library on a NAS RAID 1. You get the backup redundancy with the RAID and the media stays synced. This will work with just moving your media, you can also try moving the iTunes Library Folder as a whole and just using an alias to point to the proper directory (I don't know if this will work well).

Remember the alias method will only work if you are only accessing the data from one computer at a time. If you are accessing from both computers at the same time the method will not work.

Cheers

3. Jmx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...

Today i have a local copy of my libray on my MP and also a copy of the entire library on my 4x2 TB Drobo which is connected to a mini which is my server and which i connect to from work to listen to my home music without the MP being on.
    The Drobo also acts as a backup of my library.
    I'm also often listen to music from my mini/drobo from my iPhone when i'm home.
    Sometimes i add music on my mini and sync that over to my MP with home sharing and likewise the other way around.
    But after a few months i notice that the libraries are different since home sharing doesn't delete files i feel i need some sync program that can make sure both libraries are identical.