Best way to synch a MacPro and a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gustavo, May 1, 2009.

1. Gustavo macrumors newbie

What is the best strategy for synching up work done on a MBP with a home mac pro. Email, data, preferences, bookmarks, etc.? Has anyone found the ideal solution?

2. kid rock macrumors regular

3. Medic macrumors member

Any way to keep a folder in sync when the MBP and MP are on the same network...I do this with my work (windows) PC and Vaio laptop. Moving everything to Mac, so would be keen to know what the best way of doing this is too!

4. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

5. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Try the command too rsync.

I'm using the following command to rsync my home-folder from my MacBook to my Mac mini:

rsync --archive --xattrs --delete --verbose --checksum --rsh="ssh -p 22" /Users/mayuka/Desktop/ "mayuka@macmini:/Users/mayuka/Desktop/"

You have to enable ssh login on your remote computer.

BACK UP YOUR DATA BEFORE DOING THIS !

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I like mobile me. It gives me a great way to keep my iphone, mbp and mp all synced together on contacts and websites.

With the linked folders, its easy to keep them all synced with the same files.

7. phantasmagoria macrumors regular

Chronosync is great... I've been using it to keep work on my desktop and laptops in sync for a couple of years now and wouldn't be without it. You can do the same in the terminal using rsync, but the graphical front-end and scheduling features that Chronosync provides are worth every penny.

8. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Chronosync for files and http://fruux.com/ for AddressBook, Calendar, Tasks and Bookmarks.

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

10. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Live Mesh .... from Microsoft. It is free and comes with 5GB of online storage. The software basically keeps selected folders on the HD of your computers and the online HD in sync. So if you edit a file on your MBP, it automatically syncs these changes to the online HD and your Mac Pro.

11. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Live Sync, also MS. Syncs folders directly between as many machines as you want. Works with OS X and Windows. I use it to sync files from my work PC and laptop to my home Mac and back.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Others have made some great suggestions. Syncing for calendar, contacts and the like is fine.

For me, when it comes to work files, I would do it this way. I would boot my MBP into TDM. Then using my Mac Pro I would use the files on the MBP as an external HD. So all my work that I might need to take with me on the road, would be done on the MBP Hard Drive which will look like an external HD on the Mac Pro.

Then when I need to leave, just unmount the drive, and shut down the MBP.

Using this method, there are no sync issues. Plus this method is quicker since you never have to wait for syncing. The MBP HD used as an external via FW is much faster than Cloud storage. Cheaper than Cloud storage if you have many files. Currently the largest 2.5 inch HD is 500GB.

Just throwing this idea out. YMMV.