Best way to TAG Video for Apple Photos import....

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gpspad, May 1, 2019.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502a

I have digitized about 60 hi-8 and mDVD's and now want to TAG them and import them into photos.

Multiple family members would like to get the files. I'd like to insert the date, GPS info, and some key words, but don't want to have re-TAG them multiples times. I'd prefer to do it first then just import them into their Photos library from a thumb drive with everything correct already.

Is there a way to do this with video files that apple Photos can use?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Can Subler do this? Its a pretty flexible meta editing/tagging software and free. Dunno about photos, but iTunes loves it.

3. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried subler, no such luck. There are a few program that will tag photos like I want and allow you to select a location and insert the GPS info, but nothing for video's that I have seen.

I'd like to just bring a thumb drive to their house copy the video files to their computer then import them into Photos and have them have the correct dates and locations.

4. nicho macrumors 68020

Can't you just import them into photos, do the business and then export them out again?

If you have an iOS device, I use an app called Exif Viewer to do this on iphone/ipad.

5. ColdCase, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019

ColdCase macrumors 68030

You can edit photos and videos in the photos app to add a location, description, keyword, modify dates. But I understand you want to batch change, and I dunno off hand if that can be done in photos. You could try selecting several videos and then edit. You should be able change several bits of info for all selected, including location. I dunno about date.

6. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its kind of clunky, but I can probably import them into my Photos, then export them, but I am worried Ill do a bunch of work and some of the changes won't be exported correctly. I tried it once and some of the info was imported correctly.

Is there a way to make separate library, then copy the library, then have the whole library imported into another photos account?

7. nicho macrumors 68020

Short answer, no.

8. ColdCase, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Longer answer is I don't think photos allows you to create a new library directly, or manage them in the app. I don't believe the destination user can consolidate the libraries.

I have done it a kludgy way as I have a couple different photo libraries and I sometimes save one off to a USB stick and give it to someone else to use. I usually start by duplicating a library. They can open the library by double clicking but would probably have to export the media and import it into their primary library. Which is where you were seeing problems.

Usually I manage things like this in FCPX, however.

You may just have to buy an app to make it easy on yourself. Last I checked there was a dozen or so available, I think a few do batch processing.