Best way to tether never upgraded fw iphone 2g

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Socalieric007, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Socalieric007 macrumors newbie

Got a buddy who wants to tether his 2g (never even updated the firmware). What's the easiest way to do so? Just wants tethering.

2. nctalkinghead macrumors member

3. Socalieric007 thread starter macrumors newbie

That requires a jailbreak. Which one to use? Do I have to use a specific version of fw OS?

I don't want to upgrade his firmware unless it's necessary just b/c I prefer to minimize the potential problems. But, I also understand it might not work otherwise.

I know there are different ways to jb and for different versions of fw. Just want the simplest way. What is it?

I've done another friend's 3g, but I've read 2g is different.

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

Just download the appropriate jailbreak/unlock solutions for whatever firmware it is on, or update to whatever the latest firmware is. The 2G is permanently jailbroken/unlockable. Then use MyWi or pdanet as mentioned

5. Socalieric007 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow. ty. great link and resource.

out of curiousity, has anyone gotten contacted by at&t about high usage (due to tethering)? at what point do they do something? i mean the plan does say unlimited, but i'm sure fine print can negate that.

do they ever go back and charge more (afterwards)? or just say it's a breech of contract and force you onto a new one?

6. Socalieric007 thread starter macrumors newbie

3.0 fw software tethering on the 2g

Can anyone confirm that if I upgrade the firmware for the 2g iphone to 3.0 that I can use the benm approach to getting tethering going? worked like a charm on my 3g and figured that might be a great approach for my friend's 2g.