Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I have a 2012 Mac Mini running a Mojave, it has an third party SSD I added to it and a traditional hard drive in both it’s internal bays. It’s being used as a served and runs a plex server, a print server, a file server, a backup server, and homebridge. It’s running OSX server but not even sure how many of those function are in play anymore as functions have been moved out in Mojave.

I recently bought an iMac so would like to repurpose an old Mac mini I was using to be my new server. It’s also a 2012 Mac mini but it is an i7 server version, 1TB fusion drive, and the status light on it isn’t broken like the one on the server.

What would be the best way for me to transfer the data from the server to the new mini?

I have CCC and could just copy the old SSD drive of the old server onto the Fusion drive, but not sure if that would cause hidden issues?

I could reinstall Mojave and use the migration assistant, but I’m afraid some of the server programs like home bridge might not migrate to the machine properly as I had to change permissions to have it start up with the machine.

It seems like a lot of work to fix a status light, but at some point I may have to replace this server and I’d like to know how to do it.

Any suggestions?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Yes, CCC to the FD will work and is the quickiest way. Make sure the network interfaces are set up properly after first clean boot, though.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a 2012 Mac Mini running a Mojave, it has an third party SSD I added to it and a traditional hard drive in both it’s internal bays. It’s being used as a served and runs a plex server, a print server, a file server, a backup server, and homebridge. It’s running OSX server but not even sure how many of those function are in play anymore as functions have been moved out in Mojave.

I recently bought an iMac so would like to repurpose an old Mac mini I was using to be my new server. It’s also a 2012 Mac mini but it is an i7 server version, 1TB fusion drive, and the status light on it isn’t broken like the one on the server.

What would be the best way for me to transfer the data from the server to the new mini?

I have CCC and could just copy the old SSD drive of the old server onto the Fusion drive, but not sure if that would cause hidden issues?

I could reinstall Mojave and use the migration assistant, but I’m afraid some of the server programs like home bridge might not migrate to the machine properly as I had to change permissions to have it start up with the machine.

It seems like a lot of work to fix a status light, but at some point I may have to replace this server and I’d like to know how to do it.

Any suggestions?
Fixing the status light is a relatively easy and inexpensive repair, if you only damaged the cable and not the socket on the main board of the Mini.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Nope, it was the socket.

I kind of plan on using the one with the broken status light as either a backup server in the basement, no light means it won't draw a lot of attention. It would be a good semi-off site backup if someone ever stole my mac. Kind of like a Time Capsule with way over 3TB of storage.

I was also considering maybe as a media server by the TV, the IRDA causes problems when used around remotes, but with everything connected via ethernet, I don't really need a media server in the same room as the home entertainment center anymore

A lot fun uses for the mini's. I love the iMac; it screams, but you can just plug the mini's in where you need them one you have them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.