Best way to transfer data and set up a new mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenFromPerth23, Mar 31, 2015.

1. BenFromPerth23 macrumors newbie

I'm getting a new Macbook Pro (tomorrow hopefully) to replace my busted 2011 MBP.

The 2011 has issues that I won't bore you with (Except to say that the screen is blank, so I can't see anything on it), but I think the best I can (maybe) do is start it in target disk mode and transfer data that way (What cable will I need?)

I do have a Time Capsule Backup which should be up to date.

Question is, what's the best way to get the important files (and hopefully software) from the old system to the new, without bringing across any bugs etc that may have been slowing my system over the past few years.

I'd like to be somewhat selective if I can. I'm sure I won't forget to import my music for example, but I don't want to miss anything. (Like my iBooks, Photoshop actions etc.).

And finally, once that's all done, I'd like to safely backup my time capsule, and wipe it so I can start fresh on this machine. How does that work?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Migration Assistant runs as part of the OS X initial setup. It will allow you select the what to import from the Time Capsule backup or the HDD of the old Mac.

3. BenFromPerth23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks. But do I run the risk of importing silly crap like registry errors that will slow my brand new machine?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

5. BenFromPerth23 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so in other words, my New Mac will be fresh as a daisy, even if I import every single thing on the old mac? (That would give me 400gb of space left on my 1TB HD).

6. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Re the Time Capsule, if it is big enough you can let it make a backup of the new machine, once that is completed you can go into the Time Machine drive in Finder and delete the backup relating to the old machine (Time Machine keeps them seperate, assume a Time Capsule will do the same).

8. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

Test results

Ok. I've read this thread and many more from previous years. However did anyone done any actual test migrated system vs clean install? Any noticeable difference - apart for Safari which is snappier?

I would like to see prove of this 'clean install' theory. I was googling for this but I found only numerous copies of guides how to do clean install and that it is better from migration (...because you copied your old data and prefs from many previous versions of macOS... bla, bla) :D

Last time I done clean install was switching to Mavericks - can I gain something by prepping clean install for my new MBPr 13" 2015?

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If its new it comes with a clean install pre-loaded :rolleyes:

10. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

Yeah but I used migration assistant to setup new user. That was the question- if you setup new computer should you copy your stuff and apps or just migrate?

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

That article is pretty much on the money. I migrated my profile across three Macs and OS X 10.4 to OS X 10.9 over eight years without any issues. Yes, it copies some minor cruft across in the Application Support folders for old and uninstalled Apps but I never saw any performance issues related to that. The convenience of it working just like my old Mac straight away outweighed that.

I decided to make a clean break with the rMBP mainly due to potential instability after three bad logic boards on the 2011 kept crashing the OS repeatedly. Manually restored selected data, and I've still got the old drive safely stored in a USB caddy if I need anything off it.

12. ThomasLagrange macrumors newbie

If you are going to use migration assistant make sure you have the right cables with ya. I had 3 options to go from my Imac to my Macbook pro: TB to TB, Ethernet (wicht is not standard on the Macbook Pro) en Wifi. I had to use Wife because I did not had any of the cables.. took me a whole night to transfer everything.

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If the same OS I would clone. If different OS I would migrate.

14. BenFromPerth23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, that's literally my issue. This new mac is replacing a 2011 with multiple logic board issues.

Was your decision just for piece of mind, or do you think it was necessary?

15. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy