Best way to transfer data (inc. XP partition)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ken Masters, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Ken Masters macrumors member

So I'm about to purchase the Hitachi 200GB 7200rpm drive to replace the 120GB drive in my MBP. I've searched on here and read a few conflicting things which confused me somewhat so I thought I'd double check.

I want to transfer all the data including the XP partition from the old 120GB drive to the new 200GB drive. What is the best way of doing this? I will need to take my MBP to an AASP and pay them £80 :)() to change the drive because I don't want to attempt it myself.

What happens to the partition sizes when you install the larger HD because the OSX/XP partions currently sit at 95GB/25GB? It it makes any difference I have to use Tiger not Leopard btw.

I have a 7GB file, will it transfer because I'm not sure if my drive is FAT32 or NTFS?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Ken Masters thread starter macrumors member

Oh and I forgot to ask, is it a good idea to buy a HDD case for the old hard-drive? How will that work afterwards if it previously had a couple of OS's on it? Can I just format the whole drive to use externally by Firewire?

Sorry for all the questions :rolleyes:

3. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

not really sure but give carbon copy cloner a shot ?

as for the 7gb file most likely it wont transfer because if file size limits

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Ask service center for suggestion.

Buy external enclosure.

Clone OS X: boot using Leopard or system disk, open Disk Utility, use old OS X partition as source, and restore that to new partition.

You should then use bootcamp within OSX to make your windows partition the exact same size as your old windows partition. (7gb file in windows then it's likely to be NTFS partition. )

Clone Windows: Use Winclone on mac OS (only works on NTFS), but I think in OS X, you can copy FAT volumes. Cloning windows isn't a simple.