Best way to transfer files from PC to new mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stellamarina, Aug 19, 2008.

1. stellamarina macrumors newbie

Despite having had ipods and and an iphone, I have finally made the transformation from PC complete and my iMac is arriving today. I want to know what the best, easiest way to transfer all my music, pictures and documents would be. I have about 12 gb of music, 4 gb of pics and probably about 3 gb of other stuff. Can I put the pictures on my ipod and use it as a hard drive to transfer things to the mac? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

2. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I just had to do the same thing Friday....all I did was plug in my external drive and transfer that way. I thought that the Mac would not be able to read the file system but it did, so all was good! Give that a shot if you have an external drive. If not, I think you can use the ipod. It may take a while but it shoud work

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you enable "disk mode" the iPod will act just like an external disk drive. So if it is large enough it will work just fine to transfer your files. You could also set up a network between the two computers and transfer them that way. But if you are going to get rid of the PC it is not worth the effort. But if you will be keeping the PC, yes network it.

Also you really, really should back up the files on your new Mac. Time Machine is a good way to do this. Time machine needs an external disk drive. So as long as you are going to need to get a drive for Time Machine you may as well use that drive to transfer the data.

One more idea: Buy and external drive enclosure. An enptry box. Put the PC's hard drive in this box and then plug that box into the Mac. Transfer the files to the Mac then un-plug the box and keep it as a backup. This way at least the old PC's disk drive is re-cycled and put to good use.

4. stellamarina thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, what a great idea! I was going to junk the PC but if I could still use the harddrive for the purpose of an external drive, that would be cool. Thanks for the ideas!

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

When you first turn on a brand new mac, theres an option to migrate files. try that.

6. stellamarina thread starter macrumors newbie