Best way to transfer files onto my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Achiever, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I know, I know, this is not the "right" place to post this question, but I think I will get more and better responses on this forum page than the proper one and it does involve my MBP.

I just picked up my new 15" Penryn MBP yesterday and want to begin copying/transferring files from my iMac so that I have access to my pictures, iTunes, docs, etc. (no video or anything too voluminous) on both computers. I want to copy the files without deleting them from the iMac as that remains my central computer. I also don't need to move any applications as I have all I need installed on the MBP already.

Both machines are running 10.5.2 and the iMac has been fully backed up with TM. All that said, is it easiest or best to use the Mac's migration assistant to get the docs, and if so, does it make a difference whether or not I pull them off the external drive or the iMac? Also, I want to confirm that only copies of the files, and not the files themselves, will be transferred off the iMac. Finally, how much flexibility does the Migration Assistant give you when swapping files (ie do I have to transfer the whole enchilada or can I pick and choose what is moved?)

Also, I believe I can sync at least some of the info I need (address book, safari bookmarks) through .Mac, but I am not 100% sure how. I thought I figured it out in the systems preferences pane, but nothing seems to have added itself to the MBP once I "synched". Guidance?

I appreciate all help, even if that means pointing out that I am taking the completely wrong approach. I am looking to avoid the old fashion flash drive/CD ROM transfers that I had a lifetime ago in my PC years (let's never speak of those dark days again.....)

2. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Actually, some further research leads me to believe that the Migrations assistant is NOT the way to go. I am open to suggestions.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Setup Assistant is the best, IMO (not to be confused with Migration Assistant). You can't pick and choose, though, but you also don't need a new User Acct. MA wants a new acct., SA transfers everything as-is.

4. forrest368 macrumors member

Go with what this guy says! I did not know the difference between migration and setup assistant when I got my new macbook pro. Setup assistant is your option AS SOON AS you turn on your new MBP for the FIRST time. It does not require an account to be made, and therefore WILL NOT confuse your new account on your new MBP with your old account on your old computer. I had this exact problem, by the way, and spent hours of pain with stupid over-the-phone tech people (who actually made the problem worse), and 2 trips to the apple store to correct what migration assistant had messed up. Apple support said that the computer confusing my new and old account was a weird mistake that shouldn't and usually never happens but it was a pain. I think, WHEN IT WORKS, migration assistant is GREAT because you can choose exactly what you want transferred (I opted for data only). However, I do realize that if I had used setup assistant when I first opened my MBP my problems would never have happened. SOOO... if you have already opened your MBP your only option is migration assistant (which is fine) but if you have not opened it, then you can opt for setup assistant. AND, NO, it does not transfer the ACTUAL stuff from the old to the new, only copies, so all the stuff remains on the old computer too.

5. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Yeah, I used Migration Assistant and I ended up with something like 4 different accounts and a bunch of redundant folders, because I thought I was smarter than Apple. I ended up using erase & install and Setup Assistant to get things right. Took me about 12 freakin' hours of screwing around, but I learned a very valuable lesson: When it asks you if you want to transfer information from another computer, your answer is "Yes".