Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacfreak85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
I currently have a G5 tower. Just bought the new iMac, waiting for it to arrive. I currently have 3 HDs, two inside the G5 and one in an external case. I know you can hook up two Macs via firewire, but does that allow you to transfer just files? I've never done it before, so I dont even know how it works. I just want to transfer my stuff, I want to keep the fresh system on the new iMac though.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
I currently have a G5 tower. Just bought the new iMac, waiting for it to arrive. I currently have 3 HDs, two inside the G5 and one in an external case. I know you can hook up two Macs via firewire, but does that allow you to transfer just files? I've never done it before, so I dont even know how it works. I just want to transfer my stuff, I want to keep the fresh system on the new iMac though.

I attempted to do it between my old iMac G3 and my brand new iMac. Target disk transfer didn't work because the old HDD is PATA (IDE) while the new one is SATA.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hey again. haha.

tranfsering with firewire by restarting and holding down "T" will bring up your Mac HD, basically whatever you can see on your G5's HD will appear on the imac via firewire. you can copy whatever you want.

another (slower) option could be to use ethernet, gigabit ethernet wouldnt be that bad compared to firewire actually.

both these methods wouldnt jeopardise your new OS.

coolgames

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2004
Just connect Firewire...

Got my wife MacBook and she connected her iBook by Firewire when first turning on and it asked to mirror on new MacBook. Whole Identity migrated.
Then as mentioned migrate uncopied date using target disk (T while powerup)

Good luck...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.