Best way to transfer files to new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric8199, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'm ordering a rMBP, and need to transfer my files from my old MBP to the new one when it comes in. Here's the catch, I plan to move my iTunes and iPhoto libraries off my internal hard drive and onto an external because I won't have enough space on the 256gb hard drive and I can't justify spending an extra $600 for the next size up.

What is the best, easiest, way to do this? I currently have 500gb of files, about 300gb of which are these two libraries. Does migration assistant allow you to specify where things go, or is there a better solution?

I'd really like to not use migration assistant at all, and just manually put the files I want on the new computer, but don't want to screw up those libraries and lose my data.

Advice? I have a 2tb USB3 drive where these files will be residing.

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just copy over your HOME folder (ie, username in Macintosh HD/Users/<YOURNAME>) to your external drive.

This will copy all your desktop files, photos, iTunes library, etc. to your external.

On the new MBP, copy over any files you need and move the iTunes library to the root of your external drive, then point iTunes to that folder. It will use the iTunes XML to import everything back in.

As always, keep a spare backup just in case.

You also need to install applications again.

PS. As a side note, beware of large drives like the 2TB. The newer drives are more finicky, hence why there's less warranty on them. Always keep a backup and store it somewhere safe.

3. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. I currently use Time Machine for backups, and plan to subscribe to crashplan as well, so I should be covered on backups. I lost a hard drive once and didn't have things backed up. It will never happen again.

My goal is to just move the iTunes library and keep the photos on the 256, but I might not have enough space. It's not possible to split an iPhoto library, is it?

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Course it is possible to split it :)

The iTunes library resides in:

Code:
    Username/Music/iTunes

You can move the iTunes directory to your external and direct the new MBP's iTunes to look at that directory for the music. It should load instantly since you already have an XML set up.

Your iPhoto library is in:
    Code:
    Username/Pictures/iPhoto Library
    And you can put that on your SSD.

Like I mentioned earlier, just copy your USERNAME directory to your external and then connect that drive to the new Mac and slowly move the stuff you need to the laptop. You can erase the copied stuff off of your external once it's completely copied to your SSD.

When it's all set up the way you want, I would recommend running Time Machine with a fresh drive for the new laptop. Time Machine should also keep a backup copy of your iTunes library on your external drive.

5. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean can I have some photos from my iPhoto library on an external drive and some on the internal?

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yes, of course. Just right click on iPhoto Library and Show Contents, then take out the ones you want to keep on the external...then reimport.