Best way to transfer iPhoto Library from old Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SethBoy, Apr 25, 2016.

1. SethBoy, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016

SethBoy macrumors regular

I’m currently using a MBP from 2008 and wish to transfer only my iPhoto Library over, and perhaps some other selected chunks of data. The library is about 60GB and I’m not quite sure how to go about migrating this chunk of data. Was thinking of transferring the entire iPhoto Library file to my external hard disk and then transferring it to the MacBook using one of Apple's adapters (leaning towards just the USB C to USB A, because for the price of the Multiport one I would rather buy an Apple TV to do wireless mirroring than to use HDMI).

However, Apple’s USB C Multiport Adapter and USB C to USB A Adapter are getting pretty bad reviews. In particular, a few talks about how problematic sustained file transfers are while using the adapters. One review of the multiport said that the USB C to USB adapter works fine while the multiport doesn’t, and another review if the USB C to USB A Adapter is saying the opposite thing. Doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence for someone planning to buy the 2016 MacBook.

Would like to see opinions on the quality of these adapters, and also if there are alternative solutions to the task I wish to complete. Thanks!

PS: I would use iCloud Photos, but my ageing computer got stuck upgrading the library. Was hoping to settle that on my new Mac.

2. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson