Best way to transfer large file over the web

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by techlover828, Jul 23, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'm trying to get a disk image from someone over the web that's around 7GB, what is the best/quickest/easiest way to transfer this file? We're both on macs, and have tried to do an iChat file transfer but that didn't work. Any ideas?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You could create a torrent in Transmission but you might be better off just mailing a DVD.

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, for something that large you'd probably be better off mailing it unless you have a really good upload connection.

4. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

well we did mail, but then they got lost in the mail I guess and I need it by friday morning, do you think a torrent would be able to finish in that time?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If it's something that important then I hope you paid for a little more protection then first class mail.

You can pull it off at 40 kB/s.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you Google "transfer large files free" you'll find lots of web-based services that do this. Some have higher limits than others. Some are totally free and some have free trials. You can check them out and decide what you like.

7. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

If the file is very important and needs to be transferred urgently, and you have access to a Windows computer, you can consider TribalWeb.

I've transferred huge files using it before.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

FTP is designed exactly for this purpose. FTP is free and has been around "forever" (from the 1980's at least) It will move the data at close to "wire speed" and recover from errors. The trouble is that one of you will need to run an FTP server on your system. An FTP client ships with Mac OS X. It's not hard to set up but I can't type directions in a forum post. You can google for instructions

Second best is to run a web server. Apple makes this easy and you can enable it using Preferences.

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Argh, don't use FTP, use SFTP if you want to set up a file sharing server. FTP is as secure as a paper wall.

10. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

11. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

You should take a look at Papaya!
    It's a web server for Mac OS X dedicated to sharing files with friends and since it's a direct connection between you and your pals, there are no bandwidth or size limits!

Keep however in mind that with an upload speed of 50 kbps, it would take your friend about 39 hours - one and a half day - of continous downloading to get the files!

If I were you, I'd reconsider shipping a DVD! Simply ship it in a jewel case or between hard boards to protect it from bending and shocks!
    I've done it before and it worked out just fine.

12. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I would compress it and split it in smaller chunks. Should the transfer be interrupted you will only have to recover the last part. This will also help you find a service that can transfer the files since the size is now reduced.

13. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

SFTP if you're going to do it.

OR you could (READ SHOULD) put it in a fed ex envelope and overnight/2-day-air that mother on a DVD-DL...

Make sure whoever burns the disc verifies that it works first though.