Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I take lots of photos and videos from my XS Max and do not like keeping them on the phone or in iCloud, but rather a drive connected to my iMac. I usually plug my phone in, use Image Capture and import all the photos/videos and then I need to manually delete them from the phone. I want to make sure I am getting the full resolution versions. Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Was just hoping for an easier way, maybe an automated way of deleting the files after successfully being transferred?

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
You can try iMazing. There's no option to automatically delete/sync, but you can manually select media from Camera Roll > copy to external drive > batch delete selected photos.

Reactions: stanw

winmaciek

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2014
Poland/Ireland
You don't need to remove photos manually - if you have iCloud Photo library turned off you can select all photos (AFTER importing, of course) and you can select all photos with CMD + A and hit delete. No need for 3rd party software.

Reactions: stanw

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
It gets complicated in that sometimes I do not import all of the photos so doing a CMD + A will not work. Sometimes I want to just import a large batch of photos/videos, maybe from a recent trip and I only want those in a folder n my MAc so I only import those. Also, I keep some photos in iCloud albums and I think doing this will delete those?

I’ve been reluctant to use Photos because I don’t trust it. If I just select the photos I want in Photos without plugging in my phone, and I export those photos at the highest quality setting available, am I truly getting the highest quality photos/videos? If so, those photos/videos are already selected in Photos during the export and I could just delete them while still selected after successfully being exported.

I’d prefer not using 3rd party software, though I will look into iMazing also...

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It gets complicated in that sometimes I do not import all of the photos so doing a CMD + A will not work. Sometimes I want to just import a large batch of photos/videos, maybe from a recent trip and I only want those in a folder n my MAc so I only import those. Also, I keep some photos in iCloud albums and I think doing this will delete those?

I’ve been reluctant to use Photos because I don’t trust it. If I just select the photos I want in Photos without plugging in my phone, and I export those photos at the highest quality setting available, am I truly getting the highest quality photos/videos? If so, those photos/videos are already selected in Photos during the export and I could just delete them while still selected after successfully being exported.

I’d prefer not using 3rd party software, though I will look into iMazing also...

Why don’t you “trust” photos?! Have you had any bad experience with it?! Generally Apple doesn’t compress any image / videos in their apps.

Reactions: johaen8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.