Best Way To Transfer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boshii, Feb 23, 2011.

1. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I currently have a mid-2009 15" and plan on purchasing a 15" tomorrow. My current setup has an SSD as the bootup disk and a HDD as my main storage medium.

I want to have that same setup in my new mac, so my question is what would be the best way to do it? Should I just remove the superdrive (if there is one) from the new machine and install the SSD and HDD from my old setup? Or should I make a backup, format both disks, then restore my files? Or would Migration Assistant make it any easier? :confused:

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I would backup the bootdrive via Time Machine, and backup the HDD anyway you deem easiest.

Install the SSD in the new machine, and reformat it with disk utilities (with the installation CD that will come with the new MBP). After formatted, then use migration assistant to transfer the old contents back to the SSD.

With the new SSD installed and working properly, install the HDD and test it out. If you experience problems, reformat it and then re-transfer your old contents back on.

Cosmo